Bringing a Fireplace back into use.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to open up a fireplace and burn smokeless fuel in an open fire.

I know the history of the house, and know that the chimney is a conventional brick class 1 flue, which was in daily use until the installation of central heating 30 years ago. I've taken out the existing fireback and exposed the constructional hearth and builders opening. Both look to be in good condition. I'm waiting to hear back from the Chimney Sweep - I want the flue swept and smoke tested before I do anything else.

I'm hoping to fit a cast iron combination fireplace, and can see that the existing dimensions of the flue will make it an almost straight replacement for what was there before. A local Stove Shop managed to put me off using an Installer by quoting silly money and telling me that I needed the flue lined before they had even seen it (I don't want a stove, but an open fire), so I'm considering a DIY install. Having taken a detailed look at the Guidance Notes for the Building Regs, I expected to need either a HETAS Installer's Certificate or the involvement of my local council's Building Control Dept., but on ringing BC, was told that no, unless I am working on the flue, there is nothing to test or certify: fitting a fireplace for an open fire is fine as long as the existing chimney is sound and has passed an inspection & smoke test. He never asked me about ventilation or anything else - but more-or-less said, just go ahead and do it.

This sounds too good to be true: is it?

Sponsored Links
I think that's right. If it's existing and you are not altering the flue then you are entitled to use it. Personally I would install a mains wired carbon monoxide detector. That way - as long as the flue is sound, clean and airtight - you can't really go wrong.

I think that's right. If it's existing and you are not altering the flue then you are entitled to use it. Personally I would install a mains wired carbon monoxide detector. That way - as long as the flue is sound, clean and airtight - you can't really go wrong.

I was going to put in a CO detector, anyway, along with a ventilation grill, and I won't be taking any risks if the sweep isn't happy that the flue is clear and drawing properly, without significant leaks.

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back