Re-commisioning an old open fire place

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just after a bit of advice.

I've ripped out the gas fire and surround etc in our lounge, and am left with the original 30s (open) fireplace. Our intention is to have a woodburner installed next summer, (can't afford it at the moment).

My question is weather from a regs/insurance point of view I am free to get a firebasket in there, and use it as an open fire during this winter until we get the woodburner fitted.

I've swept the chimney, and smoke tested it, and am happy with the condition of the flue.

I know with a woodburner there are issues with invalidating home insurance if they are not fitted by a hetas engineer etc, but don't see that there'd be a simular issue with an original open fireplace??

Thanks

Dan

Sponsored Links
Installing a new wood burner or re-commissioning an existing open fire makes no difference as far as the regulations are concerned, quote;

“any alteration to a fireplace which renders it capable of being used for a different fuel – e.g. from gas to solid fuel or wood, is subject to Building Regulations”.

You say you tested the flue but are you sure you understand enough about it to make a qualified decision? It’s not just a case of ensuring smoke actually goes up the chimney, what about spillage, suitable ventilation? But the biggest risk is carbon monoxide so at least get a battery powered detector & stick it in the lounge if you use it;
http://www.solidfuel.co.uk/main_pages/news.htm

Other consideration are if the fire opening still has the fire back & throat in position which controls draught?
http://www.c20fires.co.uk/fireplace_fitting.htm

You should also be aware that a gas flue liner is not suitable for use with solid fuel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back