Opening up fireplace for aesthetics require approval?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I wondered if somebody could clarify something for me please? I've had an offer accepted on a house and assuming everything goes through I'd like to try and open up the existing fireplace in the lounge.

I've marked on the attached photo what I think is the builders opening. Is that right? Assuming a lintel is in place above (I'll obviously check!) I'm planning on taking the fireplace back to what I've marked on as the builders opening and then adding a new slate hearth atop the existing concrete constructional hearth.

I can't afford to install a stove/liner at the moment so for now I'd just leave the space empty. My question is, do I need building regs sign off if I'm not installing a fire at the moment? I'd make sure the slate hearth was compliant in terms of front/side spacing etc so that I can at a later date add a fire and be compliant but I wasn't sure if I'd need approval to take the fireplace back to the existing builders opening?

Can anyone see any problems with the above plan?

Many thanks for your help
Ta

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back