Making barn style interior doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am restoring an old watermill in France. My wife(!) has decided that she wants the interior doors to be barn style doors (if that's the right name for them). By this she means the doors that are made up of planks of vertical wood and held together with a Z type thing on the back.

Does anyone know an easy way to make these? Any tips? Or what about DIY packs to buy for putting these together? Or ready made ones that I can buy?

Any recommendations on good tools that I can get her to buy me to make my job easier for this?

Sponsored Links
it is called a Ledged and Braced door. .

If you wife wants it to look like a barn, and doesn't expect the doors to offer much resistance to draughts or noise, they can be made up fairly easily from sawn or planed timber.

The diagonal braces go towards the hinge positions as they go down. They ought to have a sort of notch in the horizontal where they meet to keep them in place

There is a stronger variety called Ledged, Braced and Framed which is thicker round the edges but needs Mortice and Tenon joints. You could get her to buy you a Table Morticer and a table saw and some kind of planer. This will not cost much more than three times the price of a set of ready-made doors

floor boards make good doors, all you need is a hammer and a hand saw.

Thanks for all your help. I will see if I can get a "present" of some great tools in exchange for the "sacrifice" of making these special doors (good thing she doesn't read this forum).

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back