Making a door to match Howdens Dordogne, Read for reasoning.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have made some built in wardrobes using door casings and need to make some doors that look like the Howdens Dordogne doors which i have fitted throughout my house, as this is a wardrobe i want the doors to be painted unlike the doors already fitted which are oak.

I figured i could make the pattern quite simply with mdf planks stuck to some sort off board.

My question is what to use as a base to attach my mdf planks ? I'm worried about bending warping

Look forward to any help

Thanks

Sponsored Links
A novice's response, but I have recently purchased a router and am still finding all of the amazing things I can do with it...

Could you not use a suitable thickness of ply and use a router to cut in the channels?

I think this would work, especially if you are planning on a painted finish. I don't like the painted finish on MDF, you will get a much nicer finish on ply.

Someone who actually knows what they are talking about will be along in a minute...

Cheapest option is 18mm mdf some of the painted kitchen doors are mdf. Then as previous poster suggested use a router with a suitable cutter. You will need to make a jig for the copy ring to slide in the length of the grooves. Mark where the grooves go clamp the jig to line up with the lines and rout each groove then spray paint the choose colour and if done neatly should look like shop bought planting steps on I think looks amateurish. If you still want to plant on then properly best to use 18mm ply anything less will properly twist too much. Also by using ply it will take the glue better and pins you use to fix the strips. Just depends on your skill level and what tools you have available

mdf for the doors and buy some profile mouldings to match your doors,cut and either pin it on or stick it.

Sponsored Links
You don't mention sizes, but there are lots of off the shelf white panel door available to match.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back