What size doors do I need?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I wondered if someone could help me. I'm in the process of creating a granny flat above my garage and am yet to point a joiner...

I've spotted that howdens have some cheap doors on offer and would like to buy them now to be fitted later in the new year..

I have 4 doorways with openings of 77cm x 199cm and one double doored cupboard of 122.5 x 198cm. The door are yet to be framed.

Are there a particular sized doors that I should be buying?

These are the doors: https://www.howdens.com/joinery/doors/howdens-dordogne-white-primed-door-obj-sku-family-dir1360

and here is a photo of the doorways..

Any help would be great.

Many thanks,

Steve.
IMG_3387.JPG
IMG_8439.JPG

Sponsored Links
No wheelchair access required. What size did you recommend?

Flat above a garage? Does that have implications? Might not, not up on these things.

Sponsored Links
No implications Eddie, any thoughts on my question?

Fair enough. I must be getting old. I remember the good ol’d days when help forums we’re full of enthusiastic people willing to help others.

Thanks anyhow will miss the offer and pay full price in the NY.

77x199cm sounds like they are standard openings for 762 X 1982mm doors.

A few mm spare is a good thing as it lets you open the door rather than having a fit so tight you open and close it with a hammer. You normally have to shave doors down by a mm or two, which you may be able to skip. Which is nice.

Edit: 1982 X 762 is 6'6" X 2'6" in old money.

Edit 2, yet to be framed. Ignore all of that. You'll be losing about 22-28mm around the top and so yside edges so you'll need either a slimmer door or a hardwood door that you can chop monstrous amounts off the edges.

Last edited:
Hello mate and many thanks for the help. I’ve just discovered that they are indeed framed and just require the door stops. So your first info is correct and helpful.

Greatly appreciated and enjoy the weekend

77x199cm sounds like they are standard openings for 762 X 1982mm doors.

A few mm spare is a good thing as it lets you open the door rather than having a fit so tight you open and close it with a hammer. You normally have to shave doors down by a mm or two, which you may be able to skip. Which is nice.

Edit: 1982 X 762 is 6'6" X 2'6" in old money.

Edit 2, yet to be framed. Ignore all of that. You'll be losing about 22-28mm around the top and so yside edges so you'll need either a slimmer door or a hardwood door that you can chop monstrous amounts off the edges.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back