Is it possible to fit these door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Standard doors appear to have a height of 1981mm, however the door in my house have a height of only 1960mm

Consequently, approximately 20mm needs to come off the top/bottom

I want to fit either of these doors below but i am not sure if it will be possible as the cut out is is large

Door 1
Door 2

Is there some sort of carpenter trick in order to make this work? Or does someone sell similar style doors with a smaller height?

Sponsored Links
You could trim them but would invalidate any guarantee as its beyond the recommended.

You could trim them but would invalidate any guarantee as its beyond the recommended.
Okay, thanks.

As the recommended trim by the manufacturer is under 10mm i didn't think it would even be possible? As a bigger cut would go past the lip

The carpenter who is interested in my job says that there will be no problem, but i was really looking for independent verification on this before purchasing.

What he can do is cut the door top and bottom. The MDF outer is usually glued to a stave that runs at the top and bottom. You can router out the staves and fit and glue deeper new ones. If you choose to do this pick door 1

Sponsored Links
Thanks @martin hill

Unfortunately I'd already ordered door 2 before you message. Will it be possible to get away with this technique with that door?

If there's a gap between the door frame and lintel, you could change the frames as well.

Hi there Door 2 it's possible to do as well and Johnny's suggestion one to have a look at too.

Update

So the carpenter is fitting the doors and miraculously he managed to trim a 1981 door down to 1960.. or so it would seem.

The top of the door was fine as the wood was still present

However when i felt the bottom, it was completely hollow

Of course, the carpenter said that 'it's fine.. It'll be fine as nobody looks there'

I then stated that i would like the wood attached to the bottom of the door..

The carpenter has stated that he will glue the wood to the bottom of the door. Is there anything else that could be done now?

He also incorrectly measured one of the doors

I now fear that this will be a botch job.. Oh what a time to be alive

As suggested he needs to remove the cross member from the bit of door he cut and glue it to the bottom of the door to fill the hollow part.
If he's cut a door too short he needs to buy you a new door.
Is he a carpenter or jack of all trades?

However when i felt the bottom, it was completely hollow

Of course, the carpenter said that 'it's fine.. It'll be fine as nobody looks there'

I then stated that i would like the wood attached to the bottom of the door..

The carpenter has stated that he will glue the wood to the bottom of the door. Is there anything else that could be done now?
Actually, gluing a strip of timber inside the outer skins is about the only way to deal with hollow doors. I have needed to do this a number of times in the past, although each time I have ensured that the customer knew what I was going to do before commencing. I do think that he should have done it without needing to be told, though. As to measuring and cutting wrongly, though, that's a no-no

Well we're only human, and it happens to almost everyone at some time or another, but when (or if) it does you suck it in and take it on the chin, surely?

MEASURE TWICE...CUT ONCE. You have paid a pro to fit perfectly fine doors and it's his mistake so he should pay for his error.

Thanks for the advice guys.

He glued a strip of timber inside the hollow parts so I'll have that :D

Re: cocking up the measurement of the door. He asked me to buy a particular width door, however he incorrectly measured as he actually needed a smaller width.

For the cock up, he said that i should return the door and replace it with one of the correct width. Any cost incurred, such as restocking fees should be deducted from his fee.. Also due to the inconvenience he's offered to fit one door for free.. So we'll have that too :D:D

Decent lad, admits a cock up and promptly tries to make things right..

Here's hoping that my doors don't fall apart after payment ;):mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back