Internal door sizes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am thinking of replacing our internal doors however the sizes are a not your typical standard heights. The heights range from 1900mm to 1970mm. All the doors sold in the likes of Selco, B&Q, Wickes seem to come in 1981mm height.

There is also one door that is only 710mm in width and the standard doors sold appear to come as 762mm width so again same question how much can be taken off the sides?

My question is how much can you take off the top and bottom of a door before comprimising the door?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
28” (711mm) is a normal door width .
Height reduction depends on the door design and material .

My question is how much can you take off the top and bottom of a door before comprimising the door?
With many modern (composite and hollow core construction) doors you are restricted to maybe 5 or 6mm on each side, and the same top and bottom, sometimes less depending on the manufacturer's instructions. If the door is solid wood, though, there is a bit more leeway.

If you are dealing with 44mm thick (non-fire) flush doors it is possible to buy blanks which can be cut to size and lipped with 10mm hardwood lippings all round. This is still commonly done on commercial jobs where fire doors are not required. 35mm domestic blanks are a lot harder to come by in my experience

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back