Door Sizes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anybody help

I want to replace the internal doors downstairs in my house. The problem is that all the frame heights are around 1960mm, and all of the doors I have found are 1981mm height. (preume standard). I intend to use solid pine doors, but am I safe to plane approx 10-12mm of each edge, I thought I heard 5mm was the max amount that could be planed. If so, what are my options, fit new frames, if so, how easy is this?? or get made to measure doors, suspect this would be prohibitively expensive. The widths are also a little odd, one is around 790mm, one 686mm and the other 765mm. Can I get door widths around this, and what is the max amound I can plane off sides??

Any help would be appriciated

Rgrds

Chris

Sponsored Links
As they are solid doors there should be no problem trimming the height, I would saw most of it off and just clean it up with a plane. Assuming you will be using panel doors, take it off the wider bottom rail that way the top will rail will look the same width as the styles.

The 686mm & 765mm sizes shouldnt be a problem they are near enough 2'3" and 2'6" which are both standard sizes.

The other one will have to be trimmed from a 2'8" door but you may find these only available in taller sizes.

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back