Will this frame hold a 20kg door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have built a frame for two doors, one 686mm and a 306mm, out of 20mm thick planed timber; the width is about 145mm
The timber studs are 4x2
Having just received the doors, I realised how heavy they are, especially the bigger one (20kg)
upload_2021-12-17_9-43-56.jpeg

The door will be hang on this side, where the frame is about 3cm proud of the studs and it’s where I fear it might flex too much. Should I put some kind of reinforcement?
upload_2021-12-17_9-55-39.jpeg

Will this hold the weight of the door and not bend?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
normally i would suggest not a good idea and likely to give trouble because 20mm -1.5mm for the hinge leaf sunk in only leaves 18.5mm [3/4"]for the screw to grip so just over half the normal 30.5-32.5mm timber available for grip
now in your instance at least 2 off the 4 screws in the hinge will go full through into the stud with another 2 close to the edge possibly breaking out dependant on stud set back from the door lining so just about enough support to be 100% confident rather than 50-65% confident off no problems with 18.5mm/3/4" screws securing

No problem.But finish making good to brickwork first.
normally i would suggest not a good idea and likely to give trouble because 20mm -1.5mm for the hinge leaf sunk in only leaves 18.5mm [3/4"]for the screw to grip so just over half the normal 30.5-32.5mm timber available for grip
now in your instance at least 2 off the 4 screws in the hinge will go full through into the stud with another 2 close to the edge possibly breaking out dependant on stud set back from the door lining so just about enough support to be 100% confident rather than 50-65% confident off no problems with 18.5mm/3/4" screws securing

The stud set back from the lining is 30mm so no screw will go into the stud

Sponsored Links
get some timber into the set back in the hinge area well glued and screwed in 'cut your plasterboard around it and just make sure your architrave will cover it
and make sure you wont get clashing between fixing screws and hinge screws and pilot all holes in the block and hinge to prevent splitting ??

get some timber into the set back in the hinge area well glued and screwed in 'cut your plasterboard around it and just make sure your architrave will cover it
and make sure you wont get clashing between fixing screws and hinge screws and pilot all holes in the block and hinge to prevent splitting ??

Will do, the additional timber should also prevent the frame from twisting under the weight of door (if butted up to the wall, I’ll probably have two layers of plasterboard)

Last edited:
as an aside

dependant on hinges you use most old door and window furniture [hinges latches'handles]is set up for no7 screws and some people just use no8 screws leaving the head proud

Walls now plastered and doors ready to go in
Do I need any special hinges or can I match what I have on other (much lighter) doors that are 76 x 51; I am going to fit 3 (rather than 2) as per manufacturer instructions, but they don’t specify what kind of hinges
I guess any hinge will be fine but I though I would ask anyway

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back