Hanging solid oak/solid wood veneered doors.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Her indoors has unilaterally decided that we are going to have solid oak doors to replace our magnificent pretend-solid, 6 panel hardboard doors of 21 years! There are 11 in total, 5 up and 6 down. There's a possibility of avoiding bankruptcy by having the 'same' doors throughout, but veneer upstairs. I have a few questions...

1. These will be heavy, and my house is a timber frame where internal studs are (I tink) 89mm cls with softwood door liners. Will the partitions take the weight ok?

2. How long will a pro take to hang 11 doors, inc door furniture?

3. Is it a suitable job for a fairly good diyer (me)?

4. Where's good to get good doors? Where do the pros get them?

5. What's the best finish to use; and can it be done before fitting?

That's a lot, but any answers to any of them most welcome. Ta.

Sponsored Links
1. heavy doors will not make the house fall down.
2.Varies according to type of door chosen and door furniture.
3.Don't know your skill level or tools available.
4.No special place, quality costs.
5. Again depends on choice of door, I prefer oil finish but many manufacturer advise against it.
Finish can be applied first but cut outs will need finishing again once ready to hang.

(3) A good pro chippy will hang a door better and quicker than a DIYer, handyman or general builder. Remember you will have locks and knobs to fit. Depending on the age and style of your home, horizontal sashlocks can be very stylish. For heavy doors I like lift-off hinges. They are often sold as "fire hinges" and are made to some quality standard. Ironmongerydirect have a good range.

(5) Satin varnish gives IMO a realistic finish similar to oiling. Don't use gloss varnish which is sneered at as "toffee apple." A clear colourless varnish is much easier to touch up, and gives a more even colour. Tinted varnishes are darker or lighter depending how loaded your brush was for that stroke. The waterbased varnishes seem very satisfactory to me, and dry quickly, but unless you keep a couple of synthetic brushes on the go and plunge them in water intermittently, the varnish will tend to set in the stock and spoil them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back