Making sense of water tank pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have some knocking in our water pipes, and it may be due to a dead leg pipe going up into the loft. Happens intermittently with no seeming cause, e.g. not really related to how we use water in the rest of the house. So trying to see whether there are any pipes we can cap at ground level to see if that stops the problem.

We have a cold water tank in the loft which still feeds the bathroom on the first floor, but there is also a hot water tank which isn't in use and as far as I know no longer contains water but I can't be 100% sure (was done before we bought the house).

I'm trying to work out the pipework in the loft - there are five pipes leading up to the loft, which is simple enough:

View media item 92410
But then it starts to get messy:

View media item 92411
I'm not expecting anyone to identify each pipe and what it does from the photos, but it would help to have a guide as to what pipes I should look for and what they do - e.g. would there be any connection between the cold tank and the hot water tank? There's a pipe that goes up through the roof, what would that be for? If I've identified a dead end pipe in the loft what's the easiest way to trace it back to the ground floor, just give it a wiggle and see which one moves? Why are some plastic and some metal?

View media item 92412
View media item 92413
View media item 92414
View media item 92415

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back