Noise when hot water is Run can anyone help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a typical hot water installation conisting of a normal boiler, copper hot water storage tank and cold feed tank above within the loft.

When I run the hot water, noise is made from within the airing cupboard where the cylinder is, like a hissing noise.

I think the pipe which is making the noise is the mains cold water pipe which feeds the water tank within the loft.

Does the problem lie within this pipe e.g corrosion or could it be a problem with the tank e.g the ball value???

P.s. it not a hammering sound

Sponsored Links
Has this just started to happen or has it always been like it.

Have you had reason to turn /adjust the main stopcock recently. If so you may have it turned either up to much or to little and disturbed the status-quo.

The odd vibration can cause all sorts of wonderful noises. :eek:

If not, then change the ball cock for one that is supposedly silent. Can't think of the name of it, works on the principle of water (back pressure) pushing the diaphragm against the shut off pin. not like the old ballcock. :)

I don't think its always done it, its just one of those things that one day you don't notice it and the next day you do. Don't think anyones touched the stop cock but I will try adjusting it.

A new value maybe the solution, we will have to see.

Thanks

HI, IF THE NOISE SOUNDS LIKE THE TITANIC COMING HOME, IT COULD WELL BE THE BALL AND FLOAT VALVE RESONATING, REPLACE IT AND IT SHOULD STOP.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back