Making UPVC doors fit wrong size gaps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There's a nice cheap second hand front uPVC front door but I measured my opening brick to brick and it's a little on the large size:

2071 x 921 mm (81.53" x 36.25")

Where as this door (including frame) is only 33" wide, so I'd need to do something to "make it bigger". What do you do in this situation? I've read something about frame extenders, but that seems like quite a lot of frame extenders. Can it be made to work? (Another later idea: Add some wooden timber around the uPVC one, can you do this?) It's worth a bit of effort cause the door is in good nick and a similar one made to measure would cost a couple of hundred quid more.

Also looking at another nice new (and expensive door) which is the right width but too short without a cill and too big with one. What can you do in this situation? I'd lose some of the doorstep but then you'd have another step as soon as you open the door! (Later idea: I could make the door step a bit bigger)

I also wondered if you can widen the masonry gap a teeny bit with a grinder if you don't mess with the lintel because I got the reverse problem with the back door. This something door fitters ever do?

Sponsored Links
So many views and no reply? Well I seek answers elsewhere too and it seems people were interested so I will give you the low-down on an answer I paid for. This forum giveth to me and I giveth back what I can.

Anyhow, here's how ya do it:

Installing if it's (just a bit) oversize (don't hack half your wall out) is easy just cut neat edges out of the wall with an angle grinder and diamond disk or the jesus saw (gop/multimaster/bmf) if it's a small difference and break open enough space on the inside for the door to function then make good.

Installing small doors like I wanted:

You construct a timber frame to make the gap smaller. If you can't find the right size boards a timber yard will machine them to your exact specification for a perfect fit. You bring in left and right hand side by the same amount and bring the top down. Leave the bottom alone. Assemble this frame first then fit it as one piece with some heavy duty fixings like finishing nails or those bigass screws you put in door frames.

You now fit the uPVC door as normal.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back