Makita future

I went off Makita when the batteries lasted 3 years (to put into perspective a mate had a DeWalt that got more hammering than mine and his lasted 10 years plus). I’m in the Lidl own brand camp for now, my customers (social housing) don’t care what power tools we’re using as long as the job gets done. Plus I repair boilers mainly now, so less of a need.

Sponsored Links
Was that a decade ago? Didn't think that DW had the current Li-Ion 10 years ago.

For the last 7 years (in fact since Makita introduced battery protection circuitry) I've been getting 5 to 6 years out of my new Makita batteries - or about the same as my colleagues on deWalt, Hikoki/Hitachi and Milwaukee seem to get with heavy usage on theirs (when asked nobody had a battery more than 6 years old) My only DW stuff (nailers) had done over 5 years when sold, but then it hasn't been used every day (sporadic). Earlier batteries didn't have the protection circuitry, so it was possible to cook.(overheat) them if you over drove them (think sustained drilling with a 127mm holesaw through 3in thick timber floors, heavy angle grinding, recip sawing of 8 x 3 joists, or cutting out 2in thick floors when your blade is a bit blunt - all things I do which requre heavy current draw). But as I said, I often use battery tools heavily, so do many colleagues (in carpentry and joinery) where Makita tools are still far more popular than DW, Milwaukee or Hikoki. I doubt that any of us could get away with anything as lightweight as a Lidl tool

Was that a decade ago? Didn't think that DW had the current Li-Ion 10 years ago.
It was over 10 years ago, and his were ni-mh batteries.

I didn’t want to fork out for mega expensive power tools, knowing how light use they would get, seemed a waste of money, and I was right, now I’m on the gas side of things full time, I rarely use power tools, keep them in my van though as I need to drill the odd radiator brackets back on the wall, or maybe a couple of pipe clips, nothing major.

Last edited:
NIMH batteries were horrible - far less reliable than Li- Ion

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
NIMH batteries were horrible - far less reliable than Li- Ion
Might be true, but as I said, his lasted about 10 years, my Makita li-ion ones lasted 3. Obvious to me which were more reliable at the time.

Li-Ion batteries are a completely different beast, though, and we are now approaching 3rd generation Li-Ion, so we are far removed from the days of NiMH. I'm afraid that comparing a battery system and technology that Makita haven't manufactured in, I believe, over 14 years, and which even DW abandoned more than 8 years ago has no relevance to where tools are today. In many ways it's a bit like comparing a 1949 Morris Oxford with last year's Ford Mondeo

Last edited by a moderator:
Nicad was even worse..... My dad had a pair of 9.6v Makita drills were really good in there day, then the battery's started to die
Talk to anyone who's owned a previous generation Passlode nailer, such.as an IM90. NiCd batteries - max life maybe 3 years, battery memory issues, ridiculous replacement cost. And they in turn were a major improvement over the previous stick battery (NiCd) models. But we put up with all this crap because even with it these tools delivered game changing performance increases over hand nailing

I'm in the Milwaulkee camp personally now, M12 for workshop kit.

What are the reported advantage of 40v?.

Impact gun wise 18v seems to be the standard at the moment for Snap-on and Milwaulkee.

I've got M12 .... Great stuff. Got old 18vilt Panasonic still going after 10 years plus for that extra power

I've got M12 .... Great stuff. Got old 18vilt Panasonic still going after 10 years plus for that extra power

I think they've nailed it with the M12 Fuel kit, weight, quality, runtime and power. The little stubby 3/8th impact is amazing really.

Don't think I've had to charge the 6ah batteries in a long time, they just keep going.

Bought the die grinder to try, saves lugging the air line around!.

I think they've nailed it with the M12 Fuel kit, weight, quality, runtime and power. The little stubby 3/8th impact is amazing really.

Don't think I've had to charge the 6ah batteries in a long time, they just keep going.

Bought the die grinder to try, saves lugging the air line around!.

I just bought some lookalike batteries 2 for £25. The last one have held out well...
Looking at the silicone gun but not seen much feedback on how good it is.... Got the small Vucume a few years back and that was useless

I just bought some lookalike batteries 2 for £25. The last one have held out well...
Looking at the silicone gun but not seen much feedback on how good it is.... Got the small Vucume a few years back and that was useless

I bought two cheapo 6ah for the floodlight, will see how they go. Bought genuine 6ah for the 3/8th impact and 3/8th long reach ratchet as they get used daily.

My Die Grinder turned up, ordered a 3.2mm to 6mm collet adapter so I can use Dremel bits in it as well.

What a great tool!, I'd describe it as a Dremel on steroids to be fair.

Some jobs the Snap-on air Die Grinder will still come out due to it's grunt but I'd say for 80% the Milwaulkee will do the job (nice not having an air line hanging out of the back).

20210803_135122.jpg

I was just about to buy the M18 Wet & Dry vac today. Then my mate popped in the back gate. He's got a full set of M18 he needs to sell so hopefully we can help each other out.. not new but not used much so he tells me...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back