Manhole in Lawn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a manhole in the middle of our back lawn. It is about 10m from the house. In the summer when it is dry, you can see down the 15" dia pipe about 6 feet. At the bottom, there are gullies coming in a different angles, but we suspect that all but one of these are closed/blocked. In the winter, the manhole fills with water, but is usually 2-3' below ground level. In really bad rain (late 2013), that corner of the garden flooded. The water in the hole is slightly brown coloured.

As far as we can tell, nothing drains from the house into this hole. So, is it likely to be part of a soak away system? Does the hole fulfil any purpose? To me, it is just a useful hole into which I can drop a submersible pump when the garden floods in heavy rain.

Sponsored Links
I assume you are on mains drainage and its definately nothing to do with a septic tank or effluent field etc?

If your on the mains sewer system ok then its almost certainly something to do with a soakaway or perhaps a land-drain system?

The '15'' diameter pipe' is probably inspection chamber risers and the multiple gullies sounds like a chamber base.

Is this stuff all modern plastic? and does it look like this inside?

http://mybuilder-uploads.s3.amazonaws.com/2_thumb/420976_1c627c2a82.jpg

Where do you propose pumping it too?

Also how old is your house

The house is 10 years old. It is on the mains sewer.

Ithe inspection chamber is black plastic. And the bottom looks just like your photo.

I have a long hose and would pump the water into the drain in the street

In that case it must be some part of a land drain or soakaway system.

Your plan sounds fine but is technically illegal.

Do your gulleys that serve the downpipes from the gutters discharge into the mains sewer? Its unlikely unless your garden is very small.

Sponsored Links
Check your property documents, such as deeds and water company plans, which you would have been given when you bought your house. I have a pipe coming off the street and down the side of my garden, carrying grey water from the road. It drains into a main sewer which crosses my garden. All are marked on the plans.

It is not marked on the deeds. I have spoken the the house builders who say that, after 10 years, they don't have records covering the development.

I think that the soak-away system is the most likely, but I still do not know why it has an inspection chamber/manhole.

Thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back