Marble fireplace - painting over - how?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - can anyone help - I want to renovate my marble fireplace with wood surround - I read about painting with latex paint but cant find anywhere!! Any advice?

Sponsored Links
I am not sure here of your desired intenton, eg. Do you intend to paint the marble or the wood surround. Latex coatings are formulated to allow the substrate beneath them to breathe.

If it is your intention to paint the marble then you will need to apply the correct primer before further coatings are applied. If however your intention is to paint the woodwork Satinwood may perhaps would be a better choice.

Dec.

Brackie,

If it is the wooden surround that you wish to paint then there may be another option instead of paint, depending on the wood.

I renovated 2 fireplace surrounds by removing all of the paint getting them down to bare wood and sanded them to a fine finish. Once this was done I then rubbed Danish Oil into the bare wood to enhance the wood grain and give them a nice appearance. The surrounds were oak or a similar tan type hardwood so the process worked OK. For a lighter wood or a softwood, I do not think it would give so nice a finish. One of the surrounds was in place, the other I got from a reclamation yard.

Just a thought and another option perhaps to painting.

Rgds
Jack

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back