Painting a marble fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

We have a peach marble fireplace we're going to paint over - can't afford to get rid of it any other way.

Been looking at how to do this properly. It looks like a good sand (at 80grit?), followed by Bullseye 123 and then an eggshell top coat would work well.

My other half has found Annie Sloan chalk paint and wants to try just painting over the top with no prep.

Finally, the gas fireplace is still operational and might be used over winter. I don't *think* we need a fire retardant paint as the marble surround is 'outside' the fireplace. Is this a mistake? Is the paint liable to crack?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
There were many (bast@rd) marble fireplaces fitted to a lot of the early terraced houses from the early part of the century that were painted from new. This type of marble was not as nice to look at as it had shells and razor clams shells in the marble. No prep was done on them apart from a couple of undercoats and a top coat.
They had coal fires in them. Fire retardant paint wasn't around then.
And yes it was called that !!!

Just to update this post for others..

I tried just painting the polished marble with Annie Sloan chalk paint. Nae use whatsoever! It just scratched off and looked a mess.

I scraped it off, sanded the fireplace down and added a primer coat of Zinsser 123, and then painted over with 2 coats of paint. Looks amazing now and rock solid.

Sponsored Links
Zinnser recommend bullseye 123 for ceramic tiles so reckon it would be ok for marble. You've got to use a high grip primer as marble isn't porous.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back