Marley Modern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi and thanks to all that reply,

I have a few questions about the Marley Modern tile and would be grateful of your input. Most roofing merchant websites direct you to the Marley website but surprisingly I can't find the answers there! Hope I don't confuse anyone! Here goes:

1) To create a broken bond they advise using a tile that you cut (scored in the middle) - are these necessary or can you cut a full tile?

2) Do you require LH and RH verge tiles? Surely you must as the interlock would be showing or need removing thus reducing width of tile.

3) Are they pre-drilled?

4) From the picture (on Marley website) they seem to need laying right to left. For me this would mean starting at a valley and from a cut tile- requiring some very accurate planning. Or can they be used either way up - answering question 3: not drilled.

finally I have a 'setting out' question:

From some quick measurements of the roof my calculations indicate an 80mm lap (75 min) with a 340 margin but as the roof is very old and probably varies along its length I'm concerned the 80mm might near/exceed the 75mm min. I have also calculated for an extra course but this increases the lap to 140mm with a 280mm margin. Obviously adding cost and weight. From your experiences is it best to ere on the side of caution? Do either of the proposed laps/margins look appropriate?

Again thanks.
[/b]

Sponsored Links
Hi,
Marley moderns can be cut in half with a stihl saw, no need for special cuts.
Tile your roof right to left.
Put your first batten on (normally 13.5 inches) to suit overhang into gutter, then divide the remaining distance to the ridge equally so the remaining battens go on the same distance apart( no more than 13 inches !)

If in doubt get a local roofer to help.

I hope this helps?

Steve

Thanks Steve,

If laying right to left, I'll need to start at a valley and hence a cut (at an angle) tile. Does this not make it difficult to finish exactly full tile at the eaves? Or is that just the trade off of an interlocking tile.

Do you remove the interlock at eaves? I'm just wondering as the interlock would appear thinner than the cut half tile. Or is this not noticeable when pointed.

Are they per drilled?

Thanks.

Run the bottom course in so as you have a full tile on the verge( tile this course in backwards if you like)
When you cut your half tiles only measure the tile and ignore the interlock channel that will be hidden when you tile. The half that has the interlock on show is for the right hand verge( as you look at the roof) known as the starting verge.

Not all Marley moderns come with holes. Don't become hung up on nailing your tiles, if they are laid well they won't go anywhere.

If you are having problem phone a roofer they aren't, all bad and advice is free if you ask

Best wishes and good luck
Steve

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back