Marshalls heritage yorkstone flagstones

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When it says use a mortar mix to lay. Do they mean a mix of sharp sand/cement ?

Sponsored Links
I take it that is my answer. Never laid one like that before.

Rigidly Laid Paving
Materials Selection
Flags should be supported on a full ‘wet’ workable mix mortar bed (1:3 cement/sand). The
mortar bedding should be laid to give a thickness between 15mm and 30mm; however some
adjustment may be necessary to ensure that the units are fully supported and do not rock or
move.
All joints should be fully filled with a ‘wet’ mortar mix of (1 : 4 cement : sand). Joint widths
should be 8-10mm wide or 10 to 15mm for wet cast products. Under no circumstances
should dry or semi dry sand/cement mixes be brushed into the joints. This practice
leads to staining of the paving and does not constitute a true rigid joint.

Sponsored Links
must be right then, i was advised 5:1 when laying my slabs....not marshalls tho....and they never moved.

Yes mortar mix is as you've deduced sand and cement mixed up. As for the sand type i prefer plastering or sharp sand.

yes i prefer sharp sand. Marshalls say lay on a wet bed of building sand/cement (solid bed) . Never done it that way before.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back