martin oneill sunderland manager

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
sunderland like most clubs have appointed a manager whose press is better than the reality. I know he has won the league cup with leicester and 3 scottish championships. but yet again a club picks someone who is not quite as good as his press. this seems to be the problem with football sack the manager and employ someone who is not quite up to the job. the list of average managers is endless in the 70s and 80s smith and atkinson were always working, today sam allardyce is rarely out of work. gareth southgate thank god for league managership is a pundit. brian robson keegan even shearer. if you own a football club would you employ an over the hill striker, no so why emply a below average manager. give a young man a chance, at least he can keep up intraining.

Sponsored Links
Yeah someone young like....Martinez at Wigan, kean at Blackburn even AVB at my beloved blues! age ain't nothing but a number huh.
Come on you blues.

fair enough but at least you can get someone from the lower divisions at a tenth of the price. and get rid of him if hes no good quickly and cheaply. whereas the old has beens you keep on because it will cost you to get rid of him.

Chairman won't take that chance and won't give them time. Look wot happened with ince at Blackburn, they are then to easy to get rid of and they panic and the go for the old head.

Sponsored Links
ok so what about the serial old farts who are no good but are always employed. going from job to job. the people that own these clubs are supposed to be intelligent businessmen and would not employ deadbeats in their own business yet when it comes to a football club they seem to lose all sense of reality.

That's because they know there business. The know **** all about football, that's why they generally get old heads in. They surround themselves with supposed people who know football, but generally the still go for the supposed safe option, the old boys. Fair play to dave Welan for sticking by Martinez. I wonder for how much longer though.

I reckon I could manage a team with money like Man City have to spend. It doesn't matter how good a manager is if he's got no money and mediocre players.

Not necessarily true Joe. David moyes don't do to bad on a shoestring and no outstanding players.

I reckon that the thinking may be that O'Niell did relatively ok at Leicester with a bunch of mediocre players and as Joe points out, you can only be as good as the limits of your resources.
So are the Sunderland board saying they have mediocre players? Job at Cellicfootballclub was totally different as it's easy to win the league at either of the Old Firm, just as Alex "Aberdeen til I die" McCleish. Doing well in the big leagues isn't he just not (and I'm a Gers fan).

managing is the easy part coaching is where managers fall down, look at keegan after he'd fired them up a few times his players stopped listening.
bwhomeresponse

Sponsored Links
Back