Masonry drill v hidden 240V cable (flash bang wallop!!!)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wifey bought a Roman blind once - you know the type that you pull up with a cord and secure to a cleat.

The blind went up no problem, all I had to do was drill two holes two plugs bish bash bosh fasten cleat bobs your uncle.

Unfortunately where I wanted to secure the cleat there lurked beneath the plaster the 240V ring main - and my masonry drill bit punched it as close to dead centre as my eye would have done had I tried to do it deliberately. Although I did not receive an electric shock there was quite a bang!!!

The electric went off and as I retracted the drill a wee flame burned briefly through the hole.

I tend to turn the power off before drilling walls these days - lets hear it for cordless drills folks!!!!

Sponsored Links
Alternatively you could just check there isn't a cable present before drilling a hole.

Sponsored Links
Those pipe and cable locaters are pants so I dont bother, and very rarely do I hit anything, maybe once a year.

Got very wet last time though (pipe running at 45 degrees across a kitchen wall :LOL: )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back