Matching mortar dye with ready mix?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I want to replace a five or six bricks and match the existing buff coloured mortar. I thought adding mortar dye to a small bag of ready mix might be easier.

Everbuild 208 do a brown and a buff tone - not sure which would be better?
https://www.everbuild.co.uk/product/208-powder-mortar-tone/

Other posts suggest people struggle with a match so should I mix it myself from scratch? Any help with products/ratios would be appreciated. Thanks

mortar.jpg

Sponsored Links
i wouldnt use ready mix if trying to match plus no dye just a bag of soft building sand and cement and a not too strong mix

Bobsuerita - thanks. It's easy for me to get to B and Q so would a bag from there be okay (despite mixed reviews)? Alternatively I could get to Selco. They have red sand, yellow sand and kiln dried sand - any thoughts on which one?

Woody - I don't think it is dyed mortar, I was wondering if that was the road to go down but I'll follow bobsuerita's advice. Thanks

Sponsored Links
From the picture I would use yellow with a touch of black dye to tone it down slightly. When replacing a few bricks if mortar is slightly darker than the rest is looks better than if it's much lighter than the existing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back