matching the colour on 2 different woods

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
REPOSTED FROM PAINTING & DECORATING FORUM
------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

I just bought a house which has had a dividing wall removed to create a through lounge.

The property still has the wood block flooring which I'd love to keep, however different woods were used in what would have been the front and back rooms leaving a 2-tone floor. Naturally I'd like to try to blend the colours between rooms but was wondering what would work best.

Can i clear varnish the darker wood and stain the lighter wood until the two match? Or should I just do the lot in a dark colour?

Has anyone else faced the same problem (and got a satisfactory end result)?

thanks
James

Sponsored Links
what are the different wood types, or if your not sure post a photo. Darkening wood by a lot can be very difficult to get right but it is very manageable. To get a real quality job experience is essential but with a bit of patience and testing you should be able to get a pretty good result.

I just matched a new staircase to old one using a combination of Dye and Stain. Pictures here

It took some time and testing but it's looking good. I'm sure you can a match on the floors. Make sure you go for spirt based varnish rather than the quick drying that the sheds stock.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back