Maximum allowable dead leg length 15mm pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of fitting a new bathroom and have just ripped out the old jacuzzi bath. I've found that there are two seperate cold water feeds into the bathroom that were thrown in behind the bath.

I want to hide the pipes under the floor so I only want to run one cold water feed. The T for the supply I want to remove is right at the back of the airing cupboard and difficult to get to. I can cut the pipe off right next to the T and cap it off with a compression fitting but it would be an absolute swine to get the whole T out to replace it with a straight section of pipe.

How long is acceptable for the dead leg? Will I be ok with a compression stop end as close to the solder T as possible (probably around 25mm) or should I bite the bullet and remove it completely?

Sponsored Links
On my Water Regs course the Manager told us that no dead leg was allowable in theory.

But up to about 150mm on 15 mm was short enough that flow turbulence would move the water in it and not create any danger.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks both.

The water in that pipe will be used regularly so i'd hope there will not be much chance for the water to get stagnant, but it is in the airing cupboard so if the water is standing for any length of time it is going to get warmer than normal.

The dead leg will be well under 150mm so that makes my life a lot easier!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back