Maximum joist span and loading

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am converting a flat within Georgian terraced house. The large living room is being subdivided to form a smaller living room and second bedroom. The issue as it stands is the span and direction of the floor and ceilings joists.

The joists run parallel to the proposed stud wall and span a distance of 5.6m between two structural walls. There are no supporting walls below. In addition to this the ceiling height is 3.5m, thus the load the joist will have to carry is substantial. Also, the stud wall will incorporate a door.

I have been told that putting a second joist in will solve this, but given the span I am a little doubtful. Others have also suggested using aluminum frames, extensive nogging or bracing to the ceiling joists, although this could only be done on one side of the wall.

If anyone has suggestions, can provide building regs it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Alastair

Sponsored Links
You will need planning consent to alter property, check with local council.

Sponsored Links
Not sure what substantial load you are referring too?

My builder is of the opinion the load of the stud work, plaster board and plaster will be such that the 5.6m joist it is resting on will default. His concern is driven by the length of the span.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back