Maytag washing machine won't fill -- or anything else!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Machine had just finished doing a load beautifully!
Refilled with clothes, turned dial, NADA!

Machine is getting power.
H/C lines are fine.

Another repair site suggested water inlet valve/solenoid faulty...
Bought and installed one of these, still NADA!

Machine has always filled with the door open, so I don't think it is a lid switch.

Won't fill, agitate, just kind of dead.

What about it?

Sponsored Links
My first guess would have been the lid switch. However, if the lid switch has never worked anyhow, then I'd say it's either:

1. Your wash temperature selector switch, or

2. Your water level switch

Here's the start-up sequence on a Maytag washer:

You push the start knob in (or whatever. mine are commercial machines and start when I put 6 quarters in)

The power flows through the lid switch to the wash temperature selector switch.

The wash temperature selector switch determines which relays to energize on your water mixing valve to allow in hot water, cold water or both hot and cold (warm) water. And the water starts coming in.

As the water level in the machine rises, air is trapped in a hose that goes up to the water level switch in the console. When the water level gets to a certain elevation, the resulting air pressure inside that hose trips the water level switch, which then diverts power to the timer motor.

The timer motor then turns the timer which controls power to all the different motors and relays of the machine to perform the wash, spin, rinse and spin sequence.

So, see if your washing machine works fine if you only want to wash in COLD water. That will determine if the problem is with your temperature selector switch.

I don't know how to check a water level switch.

I think it's probably your temperature selector switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back