MCB Circuit Trip 6amps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

My electrics in the stable were professionaly done about 8 years ago.
I was given an output feed into a junction box from which I have been feeding the rest of the lights. No problems since 8 years and all of a sudden the Trip switch kept tripping now and then . I have checked and disconnected all the connections from this output feed comming out of the trip switch but the trip switch sparks and cuts out even when nothing is connected to this output feed . I thought it was the rain water as it has been raining continously and it has and old roof. I checked all the connections they look fine no earth or loose live wires.
Can the trip switches play up???
Any advise welcomed I am not an electrician but have been fiiting all electrics DIY for 30 years but this trip business is baffling me.!!!!!! driven me nuts.
:?:

Sponsored Links
Which type of "trip switch" ? Is it an MCB ( over current protection ) or an RCD ( earth leakage protection ) ? The RCD will have a Test Button.

One fault in a stable can be a rearing horse kicks and damages a cable which then has a short circuit.

A MCB can go faulty. In most cases one can feel it is faulty it does not feel the same as the good MCB's when you try to reset.

However more likely there is a fault. One of the tools I treated myself to was a clip on ammeter and it has been well worth it. I have been surprised to see how many times circuits are overloaded. Florescent lights are quite a problem with a 60W fitting taking far more than 60W the amount depending on the supply voltage and design voltage. So although with the 60W lamp you may consider one can fit 23 lamps in real terms 15 is more like the limit.

When MCB's are slightly overloaded rather than a massive overload they tend to degrade so although originally it may not trip over time it will start tripping.

So step one has to be check what the real current is. If using a RCD then again step one is test RCD with meter. There is no magic cure one has to use the appropriate test equipment and test. Even then you can miss an intermittent fault.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back