16 Jan 2007
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I am installing an oven & putting in a new connection back to the consumer unit.

I have worked out that I need a 40A MCB but should this have RCD protection?
Sponsored Links
I have worked out that I need a 40A MCB but should this have RCD protection?[/quote]

Not necessarily, however if your cooker control unit contains a 13A socket then it would be best to have it RCD protected.
In general, a cooking appliance does not require RCD protection since it is classified as fixed equipment and normally the only way such an item could cause an electric shock due to an earth leakage fault is through the metal bodywork becoming live-in general this protection is achieved through good earthing and therefore rapid disconnection with the overcurrent devices ie fuses/MCBs.

However if the cooker control unit has a 3 pin socket on it then it is strongly reccomended you put the circuit on the RCD side of the consumer unit (assuming you have a split load board) (since it could be classified as a downstairs socket capable of supplying outdoor equipment which requires RCD protection)-either that or replace the control unit with just an ordinary 45 amp switch. The latter choice would eliminate the need for RCD protection.

The method of earthing your home uses could also be an issue however regarding RCD protection.

Also, I gather a lot of the time it is very rarely an oven actually requires a 40 amp MCB. (more usually around 32 amp)
I presume that you are asking because you have a split level board and don't have a TT supply with your own earth rod? If you did have a TT supply then everything would need RCD protection.
Also if the circuit will have a socket on (eg an oven switch with integral socket) and is on the ground floor then it is regarded as possible to use for outdoor equipment and needs an RCD
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local