McCulloch 25cc strimmer (curved shaft) screeching

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, I'm looking for some advice.

I've got a curved shaft McCulloch 25cc strimmer - lightweight thing.

It often screeches / nearly seizes when running sometimes - sounds like it's coming from near the bend in the shaft. The drive shaft inside is flexible with square ends and they don't look worn, so I don't think they're slipping. It can sometimes stall the engine. Grease has previously been added at the grease nipple (up near the engine end, nothing near the curve) so I don't think that's the issue.

Is there something that can go wrong with these curved drive shafts to cause it to jam like this?

Sponsored Links
I think it would be a good idea to remove the entire drive cable and make sure its greased all the way.....it should be possible to release the spool hub to pull the thing out.
I believe from memory the spool bolt has a left hand thread, but best not quote me!
John :)

Yep, that's a pretty good rule of thumb.
Curious though, car wheel nuts near side don't apply yet HGVs do!

Sponsored Links
It's a bit of a different scenario with wheel nuts......they also rely on the taper to lock them, as well as distortion of the rim when they are tightened (steel rims) helping to keep them secure.
Back to the problem.....it's sure to be a left hand bolt, and I've had a couple of strimmers where the drive tube was worn through :eek:

So I have had the drive shaft out (weeks ago, sorry can't remember whether it was a left hand thread or not!)

I oiled the entire shaft, didn't have grease to hand. Seemed to be a bit worse after that!

John, when you say drive tube, would that be the same tube as the external tube? Or is there an internal insert that the shaft spins inside?

Thanks again.

Some machines have nylon bushes inside the external tube (drive tube) that help centralise the whizzing shaft within.....whether or not these are available or even removable I don't know. Certainly grease would be a better lubricant for this one!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back