MDF skirting on wall which is not true

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem with the way the skirting has been installed
We had the walls re-skimmed as the there was a large bulge in the wall.
The there was no skirting board fitted when this was done as the old board had been removed.
Although the wall looks OK and the finish is good it is not true, the plasterer said they could only skim a maximum of 10mm on the wall.
The result is when they fitted the skirting it was pinned against the wall so now it looks like a snake to suite the wall
Should they has got this right smooth true walls ?, could it have been avoided ? , should they have fitted the skirting straight and then filled the gaps at the top ? which do you thing would have given the best finish . Have a look at the pictures.
the images are attached to assist with your views thank you

//www.diynot.com/network/madu/albums/

Sponsored Links
To me this sounds like a typical case of miscommunication.

The plasterers have obviously received the impression that you just wanted the wall to be skimmed to give a smooth surface to be decorated.

In your mind you wanted a perfectly level wall.

The problem is that levelling that wall would entail a lot of work and would cost you a lot of money. From the pictures, it looks like levelling the wall would mean the plaster would protrude beyond the door frame or someone would have to take the wall back, remedy what is causing the bulge and then replaster! BIG bucks!

They have done a nice job with the skirting as well and it is fitted nicely to the shape of the wall. I would not expect to see the skirting fixed on straight and then the gaps filled at the top - this would look like a quick fix to me. They have done a good job - as long as they fill and tidy the join in the skirting where you can currently see a gap!

Wonky walls add character to a property and I think it looks really quite quirky - a "feature wall".

If you are really unhappy, I suggest you look over your correspondence as to what was agreed and what they priced for, and then have an open discussion with them about your concern if you think they have not done what was agreed.

The likely result will be that you will have to live with what is there or pay to have some more work done.

Personally I think it's a good job that looks nice.

Hope this helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back