Means of escape from 4th floor/inner room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm considering converting my loft into an extra (bed)room and would like to include an en-suite.

I can continue the existing stairs directly up the stairwell for access and I have easy access to the plumbing either in the loft or direct from a bathroom and airing cupboard below. The stairwell is already a protected escape route with fire doors to all rooms at all other levels - 3 floors - so that part of it should not cause any problems.

What I need to know is that if I do include an en-suite is that considered an 'inner room' and would it be allowed with respect to means of escape?

The house is a 3-storey town house so the loft conversion would add a 4th floor.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
An ensuite is not considered as an inner room.

You describe your house as a 'town house' of three stories. Is it a modern house with a ground floor, first floor and second floor? If so, when converting the loft to an additional habitable room, you will need to either (a) provide an alternative staircase as a means of escape from the loft room (probably impractical) or (b) install sprinklers throughout the house (costly and risky if you burn the toast).

Sponsored Links
An ensuite is not considered as an inner room.

You describe your house as a 'town house' of three stories. Is it a modern house with a ground floor, first floor and second floor? If so, when converting the loft to an additional habitable room, you will need to either (a) provide an alternative staircase as a means of escape from the loft room (probably impractical) or (b) install sprinklers throughout the house (costly and risky if you burn the toast).

Can you expand on that please?

Actually the house, built 1990, is already 4 'floors' as the ground floor is a garage with 3 living floors above. Ground to 1st floor is an external staircase but the 1st floor also has an external exit to a raised garden area but is via the kitchen.

Does not the existing protected staircase provide sufficient means of escape?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back