Inner room fire escape problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We are trying to change the layout of our in-progress extension a little, by changing access routes.

We have an inner room that will be an office. Originally it had 2 escape routes, 1x via the connected garage, and 1x via the connected utility room, into the hallway and out.

We want to revise this, so it has 1x via the connected garage, and 1x via the connected pantry, and into the kitchen / diner. Building Control feel it would not be compliant, as an escape route cannot be via a kitchen. I think usually an inner room cannot be a habitable space, however with the 2x exits we originally had it was OK'd.

Can anyone see any alternative ways to be compliant and safe? Image of what we want to do is attached.

Thank you

BC04 - revised.jpg

Sponsored Links
But the reality is and despite what you might say the garage could very well be full of junk and thus not accessible. Fit an escape window?

But the reality is and despite what you might say the garage could very well be full of junk and thus not accessible. Fit an escape window?

It could well be, but we will have a path through, as the postie will be dropping mail into there, and we will need to retrieve it.

There is the obvious route delete the word study and insert the word storage.

I'm not sure it would wash, my intention is quite clear on what I would use it for. Or is that not relevant if it's called a 'store'?!

Sponsored Links
BC will see straight through that hollow plan.

Whilst you might keep the garage clear the next occupant probably won't.

BC will see straight through that hollow plan.

Whilst you might keep the garage clear the next occupant probably won't.

I expect so! The garage is actually a store, its 2.8m deep and 2.3m wide so no car is going in it..... ever.

To be clear, I am not looking to 'get around the system', but seeing if there are alternatives to get it compliant. Would a door through the WC into the Cloakroom satisfy the condition? The garage was accepted as a second escape route, along with the Utility, which is the bit marked up to be split.

True but it would be hard to argue that both the garage and the kitchen would be on fire at the same time, one route is always going to be available but I suspct Mr BCO will be thinking the garage will be sky high in boxes and all manner of stuff blocking any escape door, long after the OP has moved on. And the next owners will stick the letterbox back in the front door after they're fed up with having to walk through a half a dozen rooms just to discover all they got was another invite to join Sky.

So just add a 60 min fire door with view port and make it a protected space and add a linked fire alarm...and as for the BC will see through that codswallop, a habitable room is just that a room that is designated as such by its use...if you say its a store then its a store until you make it habitable by changing its use...ooh we wanted a study but now we have changed our minds and we want a wine cellar....Can't you lot not think for yourselves.

As for the garage being a source of fire comon any room can be a source of fire, its more risky to have candles or an iron in a bedroom than a load of junk in a garage. The reason why the bc does not like the garage is that you have drawn a up and over garage door, change it to a 3/4 ,1/4 door that swings open outwards. Plenty of spaces have exits through garages...see any carpark.

Wow some positive advice...all you can normally do is whine on about "you can't do that" have you started taking your meds ? Freddie

He could stick a corridor alongside the toilet/utility - easy. Though that will eat into his living room space and no doubt he'll not won't want to do that and goodness knows why he has the toilet accessed from the office, but then if he stuck that corridor in he could access the bog without having to go through the office. The whole layout needs re-designing.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back