Measuring a new front door

If you want to buy a configuration without a frame extender, you need to calculate what gap will be left (if any) between the finished interior wall and the edge of the hinge nearest the wall. See the red dot I've put in the plan view below, it's this space I'm referring to. If you calculate there will be a gap, even just a small one, then in theory no extender is required. However if the margins are tight, you might want to consider their 25mm extender to be on the safe side.

door.jpg

That's great, I'm just waiting for Hormann to call me back to confirm the gap between the hinge and the edge of the frame. With this info, I should be able to measure and be sure. I am wondering if just getting a 25mm extension might be the smart thing to do anyway, although they aren't cheap. I guess if I didn't the worst I'd have to so is dig out my wall :)

Sponsored Links
That's great, I'm just waiting for Hormann to call me back to confirm the gap between the hinge and the edge of the frame. With this info, I should be able to measure and be sure. I am wondering if just getting a 25mm extension might be the smart thing to do anyway, although they aren't cheap. I guess if I didn't the worst I'd have to so is dig out my wall :)
See what they come back with re gap. Remember, if you elect to go with the extension, your measurements need to factor this in. So although I'm 99% sure you don't mean it the way you've typed it ;) it's not a case of buying the extender just in case you decide to use it, your measurements need calculated either with or without the extender. Given it's only 25mm, going that route might give you peace of mind and won't reduce the open door width by much.

See what they come back with re gap. Remember, if you elect to go with the extension, your measurements need to factor this in. So although I'm 99% sure you don't mean it the way you've typed it ;) it's not a case of buying the extender just in case you decide to use it, your measurements need calculated either with or without the extender.

Will do. Yes, I understand that 100%. I meant it to read, I could just factor in a 25mm extender into the door measurements to play it safe but I'd prefer not to if I can, as I'd rather have a 25mm bigger door than the bigger frame (y)

Sponsored Links
Using a frame extender also eliminates the risk of the door hitting the skirting board

Good point.... I will check this evening. If it's anything like my current door though, the handle hits the wall first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back