Mechanical code door locks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
These....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hoppe-Ar...t=1&noa=0&pg=5411&_trksid=p5411.c100167.m2940

I have just had one delivered, the slip of paper with code, doesn't unlock it and the paper code doesn't match how it is set up with a code.

It uses red marked tumblers and blue marked tumbler, positioning of which, set the unlock code - but the instructions don't make clear which is which between red and blue tumblers.

I would have thought red was a lock code, blue unlock - but as said, assuming neither unlocks it.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
The red blobs are the code on those ones.

edit: you are pressing C after a failed attempt I take it?

edit: you are pressing C after a failed attempt I take it?
Yes, well before I try a new code.

The code on the slip of paper says enter it as C0349Z - which didn't work

I checked where the reds were and that was 890Z then X on the other column - So I tried C890ZX and that didn't work, so I tried the blue ones instead.

C has no colour marking.

Do the numbers have to be pressed in any particular sequence, or should random work?

There is also a U shaped black plastic part, which I'm unable to work out the purpose of.

Do the numbers have to be pressed in any particular sequence, or should random work?

Any order is fine. More than one at a time is also fine.

Once you've got it working, you don't need to press C each time, just the code. It's only needed after a wrong input.

Sponsored Links
Any order is fine. More than one at a time is also fine.

Once you've got it working, you don't need to press C each time, just the code. It's only needed after a wrong input.

Where does the little U shaped black plastic part belong?

Struggling to post a photo..

Item 13 in the parts list, they call it 'Plastic clip'. Its a bar about 3/8" long with two pegs out the side at either end, forming U shape

Bit of progress - I set it to reds in just 8+9+0 and just once managed to open it. It just doesn't feel right pressing the buttons, I would expect them when pressed to click and latch the tumblers pressed. There is no click at all, they just press in and spring out.

You wouldn't really want the code buttons to feel or sound different to the unset buttons.

Change the code every few years. With really old ones that have always had the same code, you can figure out the code by feel by pressing...
1 C 2 C 3 C 4 C etc. They feel looser and less springy after thousands of presses.

Thanks, I have dug a bit deeper and it is a faulty lock. The C is supposed to release all of the latches, but none of the buttons are latching. Back to the seller for a refund I think..

The seller has made a full paypal refund and didn't want the faulty item back, so worth pulling it apart to see what was wrong with it and worth fixing.

As I found above, any buttons pressed should click and latch once, but were not. C (cancel button) didn't seem to do anything much, but was supposed to release any latched buttons.

They are full of ping f***its, lots of springs, lots of catches, lots of small screws - care needs to be taken when opening one up. I had to strip the lock down completely, before I found the cause of the C button not seeming to do anything and the other buttons not latching. Down the very middle of the lock is a latch/cancel bar, moved by the C button, with a small return spring at one end. Either side of the bar and attached to it are a series of tiny flat spring strip springs. One of these had been bent over, obviously during assembly of the lock and was jamming the release mechanism bar in the released position - so no buttons would latch. How did it ever pass quality control?

All buttons now work and latch, the C button produces a very pronounced click when latched buttons are released.

I still don't know the purpose of that small, black, plastic part?

I still don't know the purpose of that small, black, plastic part?

Reading a few online instructions for this lock, it seems this plastic part is intended as a blank for when you don't want the hold-back facility. I spent ages studying the paper instructions supplied with the lock - the only mention was the item shown in the list of packed parts, identified as item 13, nothing else.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back