memory modules

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 64 megabytes installed memory

would i have any complications if i install 256mb sdram pc133 and can anybody recommend a good product?

what i have is
processor 733 megahertz Intell pentium 111
main curcuit board gigabyte i810 1.3a
bios: american magatrends inc 2.0z
intel(r) 810e chipset graphics driver (dc133fsb133)
intell(r)82801aa ac`97audio controller-sigmatel codec
quantum fireball 1ct15 15harddrive

Sponsored Links
upgrading ram is easy only "problem" is to make sure new ram physically fits and that your pc will operate new ram

ram comes in differnt configurations, i had an old pc that had (i think it was) 64 pin my new ones (thats new computer) are much bigger, so i always take ram out and take it to compare

thanks

any referance to any make or should i go for the manufacters make which mine is packard bell

to be honest i get what ever is chapeest, i get mine from local computer fair. but maplins also supply them

Sponsored Links
Check with ram suppliers for the correct type

Try this to check your mem spec .. http://www.orcalogic.co.uk/asp/default.asp Don't know anything else about the site tho.

You need to know the max mem size per slot and the speed 133 or whatever ... My dell 600 p111 takes max 256 Mb per slot, three slots, so max mem is 768 Mb...

:!:

If you don't have the manual, then try here. You will need the motherboard model number, which will be stamped on it somewhere. It will begin with GA as it's a gigabyte board.

Pentium 3 733MHz? Yes, PC133 SDRAM is what you need.

You really may as well go with whatever the cheapest is for 256 (or even 512mb) SDRAM. I shouldn't imagine a motherboard intended for a 700+ MHz processor will have any trouble with a 512mb module, but you can look it up in the motherboard manual or on the net.

Be careful putting memory in and out of your PC. There are some pretty obvious retainer clips at each end. The module needs to be lined up perfectly as you push it in (between the clips). It takes a little force to click it into place, but not so much that you can feel things flexing!

Also, be careful not to touch the gold strips or the chips. I have never fried a RAM module, but I am sure it is possible!

RAM is a relatively cheap way to improve performance, especially as you are starting with 64mb. 320mb should make it seem a bit swifter.

It is still worth memory matching before buying, be aware not all memory is the same. The thing to remember about memory is that it is often non returnable.

This is especially true of dell machines which use non standard memory.

AdamW wrote:

Also, be careful not to touch the gold strips or the chips. I have never fried a RAM module, but I am sure it is possible!

Although this is good advice it's not as important as avoiding ESD (electrostatic discharge). We've all at some time walked across a synthetic carpet or got out of a car only to get a rude shock when we next touch earthed metal. What's less obvious is that we can be carrying lower voltages around without even knowing it; not enough for us to feel but enough to blow holes through MOSFET gates. I automatically adopt the following method when handling anything with chips on:

1) Touch the chassis of the PC before removing the module. This will eliminate any potential difference that might exist between you and the module. It's a simple matter to rest your arm somewhere on the metalwork as you take the thing out.

2) Find something electrically leaky to put the module down on - paper will do - and TOUCH IT WITH YOUR OTHER HAND first. Once again this gets rid of any potential between the module in your hand and the surface on which you are about to place it.

3) The new one will most likely arrive in an anti-ESD package. This just means that the entire package leaks. You can take it out quite safely. If it's lying on a bench, touch the bench first. Remember that your two hands are, for this purpose, at the same potential. You can pass the module freely from hand to hand without danger.

4) Touch the PC chassis again as you plug the thing in.

Once you've done this a few times it becomes second nature. The one time you might come unstuck is when handing a module to somebody else. If you don't like the idea of touching them first - or even at all - then put the thing down and let them pick it up.

PS: I never bother with anti-static wrist straps and I've only ever fried chips in a chip pan!

Isn't there also the issue of speed of modules and not mixing them and also how they plug into the banks in pairs?

felix said:
1) Touch the chassis of the PC before removing the module.

Yes, perhaps I was a little short in what I said. I do the same as you actually, resting the arm on the case. I have worn ESD straps for work when having a look around areas with ESD-sensitive stuff (those ones that stick to the underside of your shoes) but I have never worn a wrist strap when working on my own PC. I like to think of myself as already being part of the machine, a wire would just be vanity ;)

I also keep my PC plugged into the mains, but with the socket AND PSU switches in the off position. To be honest I don't think that makes any difference as the potential difference is between me and the case, earthing the case doesn't offer any additional protection.

Isn't there also the issue of speed of modules and not mixing them and also how they plug into the banks in pairs?

Both good points.

SIMMS (single in-line memory modules) required use in pairs. However, these went out with Pentium-1 processors. A P-3 as this will use DIMMS (Dual in-line memory modules). You can do fancy stuff by running pairs of RAM now, but it isn't necessary anymore.

Speed of modules: Well, his P3 will be using PC133 (133MHz front-side bus speed). Now, if he were to take some PC66 or PC100 (perhaps if he burgled a museum) then he would not be able to use that whilst running his processor at full speed. However, if you took his PC133 RAM, you could use that with a computer that required PC100 or PC66. The RAM can run at slower speeds than it is sold for, but not faster speeds (well, possibly a few MHz faster, but certainly not 33MHz faster!)

Sponsored Links
Back