Merry Christmas Day !

Old pram wheels to make a "Trolley" (Go Kart) anybody?

Yep, did that too. I was never able to find a long enough piece of timber, for the spine, so I remember trying numerous times to nail two pieces together, to lengthen them. It was always collapsing in the middle. The only way we had back then, to drill holes in wood, was with the use of a hot poker, to burn its way through. I eventually gave up on it, when I was bought one of those Triang scooters.

Sponsored Links
The Trolley/Go Kart you refer to, we called them 'steeries' in Liverpool. With so many houses damaged and abandoned after the war, and houses being demolished for new buildings, we were never short of long boards for the main body and cut down others for the wheel members. Wheels were fairly plentiful as well, but the de-luxe wheels were from a Silver Cross pram. Two big wheels at the back and 2 two smaller ones at the front.
Steering was effected by having the front wheel support fitted via a 3/4" nut and bolt with a couple of washers either side. Never bothered with the box to sit inside, just a straight board with enough space behind for a few mates to get on. Braking was primarily a pair of shoes with 'Blakey' studs in the heels, which looked impressive during the winter evenings in the dark.

Yep, did that too. I was never able to find a long enough piece of timber, for the spine, so I remember trying numerous times to nail two pieces together, to lengthen them. It was always collapsing in the middle. The only way we had back then, to drill holes in wood, was with the use of a hot poker, to burn its way through. I eventually gave up on it, when I was bought one of those Triang scooters.
We were talking about scooters on boxing day and when I described my 3 wheeler (only scooter I ever had) my daughter and grandsons thought I was barmy, especially when I described how one of the rear forks broke off, see image, and only one rear wheel and I had to tip it way over to one side to keep using it. It didn't take lone for the centre hole of the pressed metal plate wheel to enlarge then fall off, dad was able to re-use the one from the other side (nothing ever got thrown away back then). The footplate was basically wrapped round the tubes and soon started sliding back and forth and turn round the tube.
1703766722613.png

So imagine it being tiipped over at 45° and footplate that would turn at any opportunity. Oh and of course the hand grips had long since disappeared before the scooter even got to me. Also let's not forget the braking arrangement was a foot on the back wheel which if you were unlucky the shoe would catch and be pulled down off your foot and under the wheel with a nose splattered on the ground again.

Oh how I dreamt of the 'big boys' 2 wheeler Triang with the big wheels and the thought of a Triang Tornado with the even bigger wheels was a fantasy.
Curiously the fashion was for smaller wheels and our recent conversation started when my 18 y/o grandson received a message from a friend showing a Christmas present sccoter with 40mm wheels

Sponsored Links
Oh how I dreamt of the 'big boys' 2 wheeler Triang with the big wheels and the thought of a Triang Tornado with the even bigger wheels was a fantasy.

My scooter was a two wheeler, red frame, yellow wheels, and had a metal flap at the rear of the footplate. Step on the flap, and it acted as a brake.

I grew out of that, when I grew out of short trousers, but I see near-adult's whizzing round on the scooters with silly little wheels these days.

Before the scooter, I can just about remember having a pedal car, and at one of my uncles, I had use of a tricycle. None of my close family had any kids, so I tended to be continually spoiled, for birthdays and Christmases.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back