Metabo SXE 450 Sander at Really good Price now!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know people rave about this sander, and I know why because it's just an excellent beast :D
To recap: it's dual orbit 150mm made by Metabo ,fairly sure the best stuff there is if you don't have 400 to drop for mirka/festool.

So thought would give heads up to anyone who's in market for a sander, saw this has been greatly reduced at angliatoolcentre

if anyone is interested
https://www.angliatoolcentre.co.uk/metabo-sxe450-orbital-sander-pid1063.html

It's 118.80 ,but you can use this 5% coupon: 300CQ90
brings it down to 112.80

+quidco gives cashback at 5.6% now so when all said and done comes to about 105pounds with free next day delivery,
can't really get a better quality sander for that money anywhere..

Sponsored Links
Purchased that sander about 10 years ago. Good stuff metabo.
And have a lot of their cordless kit. Have two chargers and six 18v batteries.

Last edited:
Great price, but what is it like in use though?

I recently read an article comparing a number of random orbital sanders that suggested that the Metabo had a very poor rate of removal (from memory) it was compared with the RO Festools, and the equivalents in the Dewalt and Makita ranges.

I did consider buying one many years ago but I am glad that I eventually went down the Festo path in the end.

That said, yes they are far more expensive and accordingly should be better.

For the record, I did recently purchase a Metabo SDS drill.

It's really really really decent, I got a mirka now but I used to have the metabo in past - as for stock removal its on par with my mirka if you put it in larger orbit and with decent paper. are you sure that in the review it was actually this model and not some other? As there's really nothing from dewalt/makita that trumps this metabo..There is a good sander from Bosch (2x more expensive) which compares to this one but they are about the same.

However the mirka is like 2x lighter and smaller yet still has the same power + it's not as noisy. You pay for that with 4x higher price tag tho :D
Dust extraction was also very good on the metabo (with shop vac attached)

Sponsored Links
Great price, but what is it like in use though?
Actually, not bad at all. Used one as my site sander for quite a few years. faster than any orbital sander, slower and more controllable than a belt sander.

I recently read an article comparing a number of random orbital sanders that suggested that the Metabo had a very poor rate of removal (from memory) it was compared with the RO Festools, and the equivalents in the Dewalt and Makita ranges.
Had Festo 150s a few years back when we had our own workshop - good tool, quiet, light, good extraction - but really a finishing sander. So less suited to site or DIY work IMHO. Also very expensive (and if you think an ETS is expensive, then look at the price of the Rotex I use on Corian). Can't say about the others, but I've used the Makita and the opposite is the case - the Metabo sands faster than the Makita, especially when used in "coarse" mode (as opposed to "fine" mode). The Metabo works well on stuff like 2-pack filler - but as with all tools like this the abrasives used and the presence of dust extraction are both major influencing factors in terms of sanding rate. I almost always use a dust extractor, as opposed to a bag, and I generally use Mirka Abranet abrasives. The Festos are all very well, but they lack the two orbit option - a significant deciding factor, as stated above - which makes them less suited for heavy sanding inthe 3mm orbit version

It's really really really decent, I got a mirka now but I used to have the metabo in past - as for stock removal its on par with my mirka if you put it in larger orbit and with decent paper. are you sure that in the review it was actually this model and not some other? As there's really nothing from dewalt/makita that trumps this metabo..There is a good sander from Bosch (2x more expensive) which compares to this one but they are about the same.

However the mirka is like 2x lighter and smaller yet still has the same power + it's not as noisy. You pay for that with 4x higher price tag tho :D
Dust extraction was also very good on the metabo (with shop vac attached)

Thanks for the feedback.

I might well get one as a back up.

Actually, not bad at all. Used one as my site sander for quite a few years. faster than any orbital sander, slower and more controllable than a belt sander.

Had Festo 150s a few years back when we had our own workshop - good tool, quiet, light, good extraction - but really a finishing sander. So less suited to site or DIY work IMHO. Also very expensive (and if you think an ETS is expensive, then look at the price of the Rotex I use on Corian). Can't say about the others, but I've used the Makita and the opposite is the case - the Metabo sands faster than the Makita, especially when used in "coarse" mode (as opposed to "fine" mode). The Metabo works well on stuff like 2-pack filler - but as with all tools like this the abrasives used and the presence of dust extraction are both major influencing factors in terms of sanding rate. I almost always use a dust extractor, as opposed to a bag, and I generally use Mirka Abranet abrasives. The Festos are all very well, but they lack the two orbit option - a significant deciding factor, as stated above - which makes them less suited for heavy sanding inthe 3mm orbit version

The festool ETS 150 is available in two flavours, 3mm orbit and 5mm orbit. I have never used either though.

I have the 90, 125 and 150 Rotex sanders (and a few different Festool orbital sanders). The Rotex 150 has a 5mm orbit, the 125 has 3.6mm, the 90 has 3mm.

From the link to the Metabo, it seems to have a two different orbits- 2.8 and 6.2mm. Am I correct in assuming that unlike the Rotex, it doesn't have an eccentric mode?

I don't want to come across as a sander snob but other than the Mirka Deros (which incidentally is available in an 8mm orbit version), I can't see myself deviating from festool in the near future.

With regard to the abranet abrasives. I did try them with my RO 150. I was sanding plaster. They seemed to blunt much faster than the festool Granat paper and I think the dust effed up the velcro backing on the pad. I do like the concept though

The festool ETS 150 is available in two flavours, 3mm orbit and 5mm orbit. I have never used either though.
Yes, I know, but the original ET was 3mm only. The problem is that for site work (which is probably as close as any joinery gets to most DIY work) having both two means carrying two boxes around. That's just plain dumb when you can do the same with a single tool (just think stairs - no lifts). So for a lot of site type operations two ETS sanders would be a non-starter whereas a single would lack flexibility

From the link to the Metabo, it seems to have a two different orbits- 2.8 and 6.2mm. Am I correct in assuming that unlike the Rotex, it doesn't have an eccentric mode?
Unlike the Rotex it's purely a random orbit sander. For the vast majority of conventional sanding (of wood, paintwork, etc) I don't see much advantage in spending so much more to get a Rotex. Bear in mind that in saying this I am a certed Corian fab. so I'm well aware of the plusses and minuses of the Rotex range (and incidentlly, there are some better solutions to dealing with solid surface than either the Rotex or the Deros/Ceros, despite what Corian UK or Festool have to say on the subject)

I don't want to come across as a sander snob but other than the Mirka Deros (which incidentally is available in an 8mm orbit version), I can't see myself deviating from festool in the near future.
Unfortunately the Deros and Festools are all in the price range that many users would regard as "ridiculously expensive".

With regard to the abranet abrasives. I did try them with my RO 150. I was sanding plaster. They seemed to blunt much faster than the festool Granat paper and I think the dust effed up the velcro backing on the pad. I do like the concept though
Never used them on plaster, but because they are so much thinner than conventional sanding papers Mirka does strongly recommend that Abranet is used with their Mirka intermediate (pad saver) pads between the Abranet and the hook sheet on the tool. Mirka dealers are aware of this and will advise purchasers - buy from an online dealer and you won't get any technical service, I'm afraid. The problem with Festool discs is that their dust holes are in different positions to almost everyone else on the do market so most people won't be able to use them. Abranet (and for that matter some of the discs from Norton these days) will fit any appropriately-sized tool on the market and work with the dust extraction, regardless of where the holes are

I have the rotex 150.
My metabo orbital sits on the shelf now gathering dust. And not the dust the rotex makes.
Use blue line abrasives.

Just bare in mind the Metabo is at around £120 and the rotex 150 is around £400. I'd expect somewhat better performance on that basis alone.

having both two means carrying two boxes around.

Valid point.

there are some better solutions to dealing with solid surface than either the Rotex or the Deros/Ceros

Can you elaborate? I would be genuinely interested in exploring other dust free options.

Unfortunately the Deros and Festools are all in the price range that many users would regard as "ridiculously expensive".

True but that doesn't detract from the fact they are superior machines. I doubt that the Metabo is as comfortable to use for prolonged periods and I additionally doubt that it has antistatic properties (easy change pads, surface protector guard etc).

Mirka does strongly recommend that Abranet is used with their Mirka intermediate (pad saver) pads

I hadn't thought of using an interface pad, thanks. I have only ever used the Festool interface pads for sanding acid cat primer on flat MDF, rather than acting as a "saver" it exists to mitigate the risk of applying too much pressure and "digging too deep"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back