Metal Garden Gate & Post - correct screws to use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a metal gate which has become loose in its attachment to its metal post. I am a complete novice so please bear with me :)
Basically what screws should I use to securely reattach it? I've tried using the original screws and adding raw plugs but this is obviously a bodge.
I've read about self tapping screws but the metal post seems to have a simple hole which would make using such screws pointless..I think.
Should I use a different type of raw plug, or any at all?
Grateful for any pointers for what for someone more experienced is probably a quick fix but has more completely flummoxed! Thanks, James.

Sponsored Links
I would expect a metal gate and a metal post to be connected with bolts rather than screws. Some photos would help, including the overall gate assembly, the existing holes and the screws you are using.

Thanks for your quick reply, bolts would indeed seem logical and maybe that was what were used originally. Photo attached which hopefully helps to better describe.

Attachments

• PXL_20220919_152003848.jpg
    PXL_20220919_152003848.jpg
    624.4 KB · Views: 111
Stainless bolt and washers, with Nylock nuts.

As it looks very long, you might order cut to length stainless studding, may be cheaper.

Edit
Does the wooden post belong to your neigbour?

Sponsored Links
If you can't get to the other side, I think you will need an anchor

Or a tapped hole.

Thank you, yes the wooden post is the neighbour's

Are you trying to bolt through the metal post and through the wooden post next to it? If so you will need an especially long drill to get through the thickness of the timber. You might be better simply looking for coach bolts, which are like an over sized wood screw, with a square head so a spanner can be used to screw and tighten them.

Thanks for the reply. It's just to secure the metal gate to the metal post. I don't want to touch the neighbour's wooden post (and as has been noted I can't go all the way through the metal post because of the wooden post) JohnD has suggested "anchors" - is there any type I should aim for? I'm guessing they need to be metal but those I've looked at only mention concrete and not metal for application.

If you knew somebody with a welder, that would be a quick, permanent fix.

Failing that, you might be able to reach down inside the post with a nut stuck to a spanner, so you could have bolts.
It's really just the top hinge that matters, as that has the pulling force on it

I've seen those gates and posts. They do indeed come with biggish self tappers holding the hinges on.
Have a good look to see if it's the screws or the holes which are worn. If it's the screws, I think I have a couple, somewhere.:unsure:

Thanks I think the screws just came loose...as you can see as a temporary measure I'm using raw plugs !! What size, as a guess, should I be going for (self tapping screw)

Thanks for the reply. It's just to secure the metal gate to the metal post. I don't want to touch the neighbour's wooden post (and as has been noted I can't go all the way through the metal post because of the wooden post) JohnD has suggested "anchors" - is there any type I should aim for? I'm guessing they need to be metal but those I've looked at only mention concrete and not metal for application.

Got it now...

If the top cover of the post is removable, it looks like a plastic cap, remove the cap and see if you might be able to use a nut and bolt on the bracket. You will need to drill out the hole in the post to the bolt size and find a way to hold the nut in place, until you can start the bolt into it.

Failing that - as above, do you know anyone with a welder?

You could raise or lower the gate slightly and drill fresh holes for some new self tappers. You would only need to offset the original holes by 5 mm or so.

Use a jack nut.

If you still have the original screws you can drop a couple of paper clips into the holes and then re-use the screws as the paperclips will improve the bite into the hole.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back