Metal garden shed very bad condensation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a metal garden shed and the inside of the roof is dripping

with water, lots of condensation, all my tools etc, are rusting, how

can I sort this problem? would I put some thing on the inside of the

shed? or on top of shed, or both? and what would I put on it?? its that

bad if I cannot fix it, it will have to go, at the moment I wipe the inside of the

roof down morning and night with a leather, lots of water, I cannot be doing

this much longer. PS. in the summer its fine, thats when I bought it,

help please, Its killing me.

Sponsored Links
Sorry about your problem, but single skin metal sheds are really useless in UK climate in the winter for just this reason.
A cheap solution would be to line the shed internallywith rigid polystyrene sheeting, using instant expanding foam to attach it to the roof and to seal any cracks or gaps in the corners and where the sheets join. (You'd need to support the sheeting temporarily when attaching it to the roof until the foam cures)
Then most likely you'll need to use thin plywood sheeting inside this in areas where the sheeting could be easily damaged as a protection.
Best give up on your shed for the moment and take your best tools indoors. Then tackle this job in the late spring or summer when its absolutely dry inside.
Hope this helps.

cheers b3taman, I think I will do as you say, take all my best gear indoors and have a go in the summer, as I said, I leather it down, the inside roof
twice a day, and its a drag, thanks for the tip, charleyboy.

Sponsored Links
I've a few machine tools like lathes that are prone to sweat in mild weather following a cooler period. Best thing to do is to keep all the exposed steel surfaces coated in oil. I normally use some old sae 220 oil and thin it down with some kero so that you can spray it from a hand sprayer. Do it that way and it only takes a few ticks after you've finished what you were doing.

Use whatever oil you have to hand, don't buy anything special, just use something thick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back