Metal shed - do I need to protect any areas missing paint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I have recently assembed one of these puppies:
image_47981.jpg

Purchased from Argos a year ago, and finally got around to putting it up a couple of weekends ago - the reviews were right, it took about 18 hours straight effort to get it all setup and anchored!

Anyway, the reason for my post:

I'm aware these are meant to be zero maintenance, ie no roof felt, no wood, and in theory no rusting.

However some of the panels have rubbed against each other in transit, and I dare say we scraped a few when putting it up, and the coating has gone.

So my question is, should I somehow cover these over, and will it rust into nothing if I do not?

The instructions were very clear that you had to use washers on all the screws to prevent the surface being eroded.

I don't really want to paint the affected scratches, as it will never match, but i wondered if there was a clear lacquer or varnish i could spray or paint on that might do the job - any ideas......?

Cheers

Dan

Sponsored Links
Any exterior clear varnish would do the trick.

Thanks for the reply Alarm,

a quick google seems to suggest they are all exclusively for wood however, will they work ok with metal?

My thought process had moved to a spray lacquer of the kind you might use if you were carrying out a paint repair on your car, as this is quite a similar situation in terms of material.

What do you think?

Spray lacquer or a type of varnish for wood?

They are nearly as difficult to get apart as i've just sold the one we inherited when we moved and it was a nightmare. They suffer badly from condensation so we bought a good quality wooden shed instead.

Sponsored Links
Hi there,

do you remember where the condensation came from, ie was it just from the ceiling/roof, or the walls as well?

We're not keeping much of value or importance in there, garden tool, garden plastic chairs, a cheap commuter bike, the most expensive thing being a petrol lawn mower.

My gf read somewhere that someone improved the condensation issues by fitting polystiring (sp) tiles to the underside of the roof.

May look to do that, depending on what you come back with,

Cheers

Dan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back