Metallurgy - stainless steel stain removal

At this rate, Harry, I've a good mind to stick some oxallic acid crystals in an envelope and post it to you...

Always best to wait until all answers are in, before committing. It is though, looking like a burn/heat stain. Will oxalic tackle that?

I'm planning a trip the Home Base today, for the Bar Keepers - I have a plastic composite thingummy sink, in the kitchen which stains very easily and a stainless one in the utility, so it might work for the prior.

Sponsored Links
I'm planning a trip the Home Base today, for the Bar Keepers - I have a plastic composite thingummy sink, in the kitchen which stains very easily and a stainless one in the utility, so it might work for the prior.

Got some - £1.49 I think it was - will test and report later.. I only went in for the BKF, but as usual, exited with a bag full.

And now the outcome of the little experiment with BKF...

It removed almost all of the black, with little effort, but there remains some slight discolouration. The wet cloth I used was quite black in colour when I had finished. Apart from the discolouration, the surface seemed to be marked and remains quite dull in appearance. I would love to know what happened to it, to cause the damage. So that's a thumbs up for the BKF, but yet to be tested on other surfaces.

Sponsored Links
If the "stain" wasn't just something on the surface, you've had it attack the metal, which will have removed some of it. You'd expect it to be rough. Obviously you could use fine abrasive, or a series of them, to polish it up again. But if you were going to do that you wouldn't have needed your pub jizzm.

Back