Meter Tails to CU

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
However, the interesting question is would it be strong enough to prevent penetration by nails screws and the like :eek:.
Wouldn't have to be if it was earthed. :LOL:

If I understand the 17th edition correctly
Err.... No.

Do you have a copy? Should do if you're doing the installation design.

then I have the following options:

1. Bury the meter tails in excess of 50mm into the internal blockwork and run them to the CU. I understand that they must also be run within the safe zones.
If they are >50mm deep they can be anywhere. If they are <50mm deep and not mechanically protected etc they will need to be in safe zones and be RCD protected.

How thick is the inner leaf? Is >50mm achievable?

2. Mechanically protect the tails with steel conduit and run to the CU. This conduit would also require earthing.
Conduit would not require earthing if the cables are more than 50mm deep. But then at >50mm conduit isn't needed anyway.

Or have you got metallic parts in the wall? Does 522.6.8 apply?

Or are you planning to use the conduit as the earth conductor?

Option 1 also entails a large degree of channelling which is time consuming.
So if you used conduit would you not bury it?

And anyway - new house - blockwork - use a chasing tool and SDS chisel, won't take long.

Option 2 has the issue of still having to channel the conduit partly into the wall so as it won't be seen and earthing it.
Earthing conduit is not hard.

Anyone think of any other options?
Just use SWA or pyro and be done with it.

Metal capping isn't strong enough to prevent penetration by nails, screw and the like. Are you suggesting it would be adequate if it was earthed?
Err - wasn't it my turn to not read all of 522.6 properly?

(iv) doesn't say that mechanical protection needs earthing, but of course capping is neither incorporated into the cable, nor is it BS EN 61386 conduit or 50085 trunking or ducting.

So no - it wouldn't be adequate if earthed. :oops:

It would involve a lot of messing about. You couldn't connect either directly into the meter terminals so you would need at least one connection involving DI tails.
Why couldn't swa or pyro be glanded to the enclosure of the switchfuse in the meter cabinet?

It would involve a lot of messing about. You couldn't connect either directly into the meter terminals so you would need at least one connection involving DI tails.
Why couldn't swa or pyro be glanded to the enclosure of the switchfuse in the meter cabinet?

Sorry BAS, I got carried away and forgot he had a switch fuse and not just a DNO meter to connect to.

I still wouldn't a*se around with pyro of that size though!

16mm²?

Rob will come and do it - he has a BBW fetish.

(That's Big Beautiful Wiring, you filthy beasts) :LOL:

Must the cables be hidden in the wall?

You could surface-mount them or use surface trunking or maybe run them under the floor.

No one noticed this very good option, which is prob what I would be doing unless someone tells me that there is a flaw here?

Martin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back