Mice Under Floorboards? Inspecton

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Here's the problem in a nutshell:

- Ground floor end of terrace two-storey flat.
- Kitchen & living room ground floor, bedrooms basement.
- Mice running under kitchen and living room floor boards can be heard in the middle of the night.

- They are coming in through the living room. We laid bait and they ate it all. Have cordoned off the living room door with steel wool so the dont' go to any other parts of the house. Seems to be working.

- We know the next step is to plug up any holes but the thought of leaving the mice under the floorboards and continue to scratch the floorboards above our heads seems like an absoulte nightmare. The scratching is so loud it's waking me up at night. And they're going to go forth and mulitply!

- I called a pest control company to lay bait under the floorboards and they said they don't lift up floorboards.

- So I was thinking maybe if I could inpsect under the floorboards and see where mice are nesting\coming from? I'd use one of these:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/XCSOURCE®-I...368104332&sr=1-1&keywords=Endoscope+Borescope

Is it worth looking under the floorboards with one of these little gadgets. My thinking is I'll know where to put any poison, lay steelwool etc.

Please help!

Sponsored Links
Put poison under the floor, along the edge as this is where they run.

Also can they get out as the poison makes them search for water and normally leave the building?

Andy

Thanks for the reply.

They are running along the edges of the floorboards but the nest(?) or the spot where I always hear them is nearer the centre of the ceiling. (The very word "nest" make my skin crawl.)

They are getting in\out via the neighbours floorboards in the internal structure. somewhere. That's another reason why I wanted to "investigate" a bit to see where they were coming from and block it up with steel wool or something?

The neighbour have said they've put down poison but they're probably eating that too.

Are you sure they're mice and not rats? If they are rats and you are only putting down small amounts of bait suitable for mice, rats will come back for more. Try larger amounts of bait. If after a time you notice a rank smell and maybe see a few flies about, you'll know you've got one. The smell will go after a few days.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the suggestion. They are definitely mice. Have had pest control in before and they have said they're mice.

Does anyone think looking under the floorboards with the camera gadget is good\bad idea please?

Glad to hear they are in fact mice! Many people don't mind saying they have mice, but wouldn't admit to rats!.

I often do plans for loft conversions, and on a number of occasions, clients have said to me "oh, by the way, in case you see the bait trays up there, we've had squirrels in the loft", and you know it's really been rats!.

Wish it were a squirrel. It looks like no-one has used and\or can recommend using this little gadget. Gutted. I might have to bite the bullet but will hold out a bit longer to see if anyone else passes through and has used something like this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back