Something under the floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Hope someone can help. Over the past 4/5 nights we have been kept awake by loud, intermittent, scratching, rustling and tapping noises coming from underneath the floorboards in my sons room. It seems to be just inside the door and about 6 feet away from the outside wall. (So loud my son has taken to wearing earplugs, which is not helped by there being no carpet just bare boards.) Last night I heard the same rustling, scratching and tapping under the boards in my room (only in one place) as well. If it were mice surely they would be roaming further and the noise would be most of the time. If it is a bird that has become trapped we presumably still need to find it as a rotting carcass would be unbearable to live with during the summer months. But surely a bird would have died within a few days of being stuck under the boards of starvation. Any advice please guys. Note: It is only me and my boys so whatever remedy needs to be as simple as possible please!

Sponsored Links
mice

you might be able to smell them as they dribble urine

if you have a look in your kitchen cupboars you may find they have nibbled a hole in packets of cornflakes, flour, bisvuits etc. They also eat petfood off the floor.

put some poison down

it is cheapest if you buy the Rentokil stuff in a plastic container like a Fairy Liquid bottle. It contains grains of wheat or something, dyed blue. Put several small doses down in different places, in something like a flower-pot saucer, and keep topping up daily until it stops going down.

If the stuff gets gobbled at a high rate it could be rats which needs more investigation.

the noise can be things like them nibbling crisp or chocolate wrappers. they also gnaw electricity cables which is a problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back