Microbore paranoia - 15mm adaptors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've been doing a lot of remodelling in our house involving replacing and relocating radiators. It's all done with 8mm microbore.

So far, everything I have touched has broken or leaked - the system must be 20 years old and turns out to be in bad shape.

I have new radiator valves to replace all the old knackered ones. They are the 15mm with an adaptor variety. I've never used these before - is there anything to watch out for? Do you just pop the thing in and radge it up like a fancy olive? Should I use any sealants?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
cut the 8mm with mini pipe cutters instead of a hacksaw and make sure theres no paint or other **** on the pipe, make sure the reducer is fully home onto the pipe, and then radge it up

Put the reducing set on the end of the pipe, it's obvious which way round it goes - will only fit over pipe end one way. I then put a smear of jointing compound (Boss White/Jet Blue) over the set where it mates with the valve. Then push the pipe with the set into the valve, and do the compression nut up hand tight.

These reducing sets are a bit disconcerting the first time you do them up with the spanner. Tightnen with the spanner until you feel the nut 'give' and go slightly loose. Then turn a bit more until tight. Don't use massive force.

Sponsored Links
Cool... yeh, doesn't feel like a normal olive at all but worked perfectly. Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back