Mini cordless Chainsaw - crazy choice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Buy good, buy once they say, but with mini chainsaws ranging in price from £20 on Amazon to £190+ for name brands like Stihl, and everything in between I'm looking for genuine reviews from people who actually have one. This for very occasional home use to tackle a Leylandii hedge, old Roses etc., so 15-20cm blade length is fine.

The one that's promoted heavily on line is by SAKER, a brand I've never heard of. Any feedback welcomed....

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I wouldn't touch Faker personally unless you are working to a price point. Use a pruning saw or loppers for hedges or old rose stems. A good quality hedge cutter with 20mm or so blade space will also do the job. Get a branded mini chain saw, like Makita if you go for one, imo they are flavour of the month, and you would be better off with a cordless chainsaw for the larger jobs, plus the tools mentioned above. I can see they might help if you are disabled or have limited mobility but that in itself creates safety issues.

Blup

Buy good, buy once they say, but with mini chainsaws ranging in price from £20 on Amazon to £190+ for name brands like Stihl, and everything in between I'm looking for genuine reviews from people who actually have one. This for very occasional home use to tackle a Leylandii hedge, old Roses etc., so 15-20cm blade length is fine.

The one that's promoted heavily on line is by SAKER, a brand I've never heard of. Any feedback welcomed....
I have the 20v parkside one from lidl with 4 x 4ah batteries as I also have the twin battery mower and pole pruner and its bl00dy brilliant...one slight criticism, would be better to have auto oiling.

I wouldn't touch Faker personally unless you are working to a price point. Use a pruning saw or loppers for hedges or old rose stems. A good quality hedge cutter with 20mm or so blade space will also do the job. Get a branded mini chain saw, like Makita if you go for one, imo they are flavour of the month, and you would be better off with a cordless chainsaw for the larger jobs, plus the tools mentioned above. I can see they might help if you are disabled or have limited mobility but that in itself creates safety issues.

Blup
Cheers....
Initial purchase will be to tackle one particular job. The hedge is one sided, the rear having been cut back to accommodate a garden building about 16' long. This was done quickly a few years ago and the cut wasn't close to the trunk leaving dozens of hardened protruding 'prongs' and no foliage. There's not enough space between building and hedge to easily use loppers or a pruning saw. I'm looking at Saker first as it's currently half the price of the Makita and comes with 2 blades, 2 batteries.

Sponsored Links
No experience of Saker.
But I bet they use poor quality cells in their batteries that get quickly damaged by the high current drain needed by this type of tool.

The Makita, DeWalt, Roybi, etc and even Lidl use cells that as specified for high and fast current discharges.

Sorry to say, but I would go for a more expensive brand whose batteries you can then use in other tools as you develop (or are locked into) your tool collection.

Do you already have any tools or batteries from a specific brand?

Last edited:
I have found the ALDI brushless 40V chainsaw pretty good and it has an oiler, but still use a long handled lopper where I can because a chainsaw above your head is an accident waiting to happen. If you have a bundle of small branches close to each other they move about with a chainsaw and can nip upon the blade which can make it kick.
Lidl and aldi both use samsung branded cells, as shown by various utube teardown videos.

I use a reciprocating saw for the sort of pruning you mention, too big for loppers.

IMO a chainsaw is more likely to be involved in an unpleasant accident.

Cheers....
Initial purchase will be to tackle one particular job. The hedge is one sided, the rear having been cut back to accommodate a garden building about 16' long. This was done quickly a few years ago and the cut wasn't close to the trunk leaving dozens of hardened protruding 'prongs' and no foliage. There's not enough space between building and hedge to easily use loppers or a pruning saw. I'm looking at Saker first as it's currently half the price of the Makita and comes with 2 blades, 2 batteries.
That’s fine if you're working to a price point, you can chuck it if/when it stops working in a couple of years.

Blup

That’s fine if you're working to a price point, you can chuck it if/when it stops working in a couple of years.

Blup

The batteries may still be useful if he has other compatible tools.

I'm not loyal to any brand which makes battery sharing troublesome and I tend to buy corded as infrequent use nearly always means charging before use.
The issue I have with brands comes from working in retail a while back, where I learnt what corners are cut to keep prices down whilst retaining the brands badge.
LIDL stuff is apparently made by Einhell in Germany. Metabo, now owned by Hitachi, who mainly served trade customers are now tackling the lower end of the market.

I use a reciprocating saw for the sort of pruning you mention, too big for loppers.

IMO a chainsaw is more likely to be involved in an unpleasant accident.
I'm looking at the single handed chainsaws with a 15cm blade but hear what your saying.

The batteries may still be useful if he has other compatible tools.
They're chasing the 1970's B&D market

Blup

Lidl tools made in germany, calm down

Even the big brands make most of their stuff in china
Einhell is in Germany............happy to help...:giggle:

Whilst design and development of Einhell power tools takes place in Germany, their products are largely produced in China. The manufacture of these products is supervised by German engineers and technicians who ensure all products are made in accordance with strict Einhell guidelines'

Einhell has quite a good spares division.

More than you can say for most unbranded cheap stuff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back