Minor Damp at base of wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I own a 1930's semi detached house in south wales. I have owned it for 6 years, and for those 6 years, we have had a minor damp issue in the entrance way to the house.

Just to give a bit of info, when we got the house, it had two air bricks fitted by the damp area, but also had the foam ball cavity wall insulation. I was told by a builder who was in quoting for some other work that we should not have air bricks as itll allow rain in and the CWI will transfer the water to the inside wall - so he quickly filled them in with mortar. We then, 5 years a go, had the CWI removed under the warranty as it shouldnt have been installed in the first place and the previous owner had essentially been mis sold it.

The exterior of the house is pebbledashed which, like every other house on the street, goes down to ground level. I am unsure what DPC is there as ive never seen under the pebbledash.

I had a damp expert in last week who advised no rising damp and couldnt really see any major concern - just left with some advice. We have a new roof and gutters so no issue there - but he thought maybe rain was bouncing off the path and hitting the house.

Ive added some photos. Please note, the one of the external wall, there is a shadow from the wall that makes it look worse than it is. There is green moss growing on the damp section.

I have re opened the air bricks, but when we have dry weather, plan to take them out and check the cavity for any debris.

You can see the internal wall, which I am in the process of hacking off. Also, along the lower course of bricks, there are holes every 8 cm in the mortar line, so not sure if someone has tried something before.

I also plan when doing the air brick, to remove about a meter heights worth of pebbledash render, as the lower 10/15cm by the front door has blown - which again, may be a reason the damp?

What I want to know is - what should I do to put it all right again. I am a complete novice, DIY-er, but am quite handy at these smaller jobs - I just lack the knowledge to know whats best and every google brings up something different.

What should I use to re render the small area of pebbledash I will remove?

What should I use to re render the internal wall? Ive been told I can just plasterboard it?

Should i insert dry rods, or a dpc cream?

Any advice is greatly appreciated - I just need a clear step by step guide on what to use

Many Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_7281.jpeg
    IMG_7281.jpeg
    929.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_7283.jpeg
    IMG_7283.jpeg
    760 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_7279.jpeg
    IMG_7279.jpeg
    588.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_7280.jpeg
    IMG_7280.jpeg
    680.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_7276.jpeg
    IMG_7276.jpeg
    428.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_7278.jpeg
    IMG_7278.jpeg
    464 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_7282.jpeg
    IMG_7282.jpeg
    461.1 KB · Views: 33
Sponsored Links
This sounds familiar. Did you post it before?

Stand back and take some wider pics in daylight please. The whole wall all the way up to the roof and gutters, and all the way down to the ground and paving. Include all downpipes, gullies, drains and manholes.

Where is the DPC is relation to ground level?

If you pour water on the paving, does it run towards the house or away?

Is the floor concrete?

Where is the incoming water main?

Air bricks reduce damp by ventilating it away. Filling them in will not reduce damp.

Do not allow anyone who sells silicone injections near your house.

Dry rods and chemical cream will not repair the fault.

This sounds familiar. Did you post it before?

Stand back and take some wider pics in daylight please. The whole wall all the way up to the roof and gutters, and all the way down to the ground and paving. Include all downpipes, gullies, drains and manholes.

Where is the DPC is relation to ground level?

If you pour water on the paving, does it run towards the house or away?

Is the floor concrete?

Where is the incoming water main?

Air bricks reduce damp by ventilating it away. Filling them in will not reduce damp.

Do not allow anyone who sells silicone injections near your house.

Dry rods and chemical cream will not repair the fault.
Hi

Yes I did post previously. Slightly different post though, but same issue.

Attached the photo you asked for.

Floor is concrete.

Water runs away

Water mains run sort of where I’m taking the photo, up to the left under the side gate and in the back of the house.

Attachments

• IMG_7707.jpeg
    IMG_7707.jpeg
    430.2 KB · Views: 23
Looks to run all around that bottom corner

Attachments

• IMG_7708.jpeg
    IMG_7708.jpeg
    424.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_7709.jpeg
    IMG_7709.jpeg
    430.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_7710.jpeg
    IMG_7710.jpeg
    424 KB · Views: 21
Sponsored Links
Stand back and take wider pics. You are not showing the surroundings to the wet bits.

Take pics of the drain the downpipe near the corner goes into.

Where is the DPC?

Stand back and take wider pics. You are not showing the surroundings to the wet bits.

Where is the DPC?
I did?

Attachments

• IMG_7707.jpeg
    IMG_7707.jpeg
    430.2 KB · Views: 22

Where is the DPC?
Guessing the Dpc is where the damp stops about 2 courses up from the floor inside

Attachments

• IMG_7712.jpeg
    IMG_7712.jpeg
    550 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_7713.jpeg
    IMG_7713.jpeg
    462.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_7714.jpeg
    IMG_7714.jpeg
    540.5 KB · Views: 26
OK

From what I can see

The gully is way below the surface of the paving. This added height probably bridges the damp course. The DPC will be 6 to 9 inches above where ground level used to be when the house was built. The original gully will have been at about ground level.

The gulley is probably broken and leaking in the ground. The drain itself may be blocked. There are signs of long term water escape on the patterns on the retaining wall and on the house. You can have a CCTV drain survey to look at it from inside.

If you fancy DIY, you can dig the drain out yourself. The level of the paving must be reduced all round the house.

Silicone injections will not repair the drain, nor will they lower the paving, and they will not cure the damp. As you have a concrete floor it will be wet from the water gushing out of the broken drain.

Every house drain is set 6inchs or so down. Just had a look at both neighbours. Their pathways are also the same as ours.

Sounds like a lot of hassle to remove the slabs around the house and lower the level - there must be a more simple solution?

Could I just cut a channel around the house, a foot deep or so, and fill it with crushed stones or a drain?

Sounds like a lot of hassle to remove the slabs around the house and lower the level -

Yes, it's a shame there are idiot builders and pavers who do so much damage to customers' houses.

There are still people doing it.

You also need to dig out and repair or replace your drains.

Yes, it's a shame there are idiot builders and pavers who do so much damage to customers' houses.

There are still people doing it.

You also need to dig out and repair or replace your drains.

Just arranged a drain survey. £75. Worth seeing what they say for that. Cheers for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back