Mirka Pads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell be if the mirka Interface pad 70x198 will fit the hand 70x198 sanding block. I ask because the block is 20 holes and the pad is 56 hole, will 20 of the holes in the pad line up with the 20 in the sander.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I don't know the answer but in the past when using my Festool 150mm interface pad with my 125mm Festool Rotex, I simply drilled new holes in the pad.

I used to use the interface pad to sand primed MDF, I used to find that the 180 grit Brilliant disks were prone to removing too much of the primer. The interface pad eliminated that problem. Now that I use the Festool Granat Mesh (or Abranet), I no longer use the interface pad.

Are you sanding slightly curved surfaces?

Thanks. A bit late now as I have brought the interface pad but I am still awaiting the hand sander block. didn't think about drilling new holes.
I already have the 125mm long version which is about worn out so this is its replacement.
Yes much the same reason as you it softens the grit and yes 180 can be too harsh. I light sane inbetween coats but I have painted walls and ceiling with a final satin emulsion if I run my hand over the surface it still feels rough so I find the lightest out touches with 600 grit on a soft pad takes the surface to a totally smooth one without changing the soft sheen.
Also slightly rounded surfaces.

Thanks. A bit late now as I have brought the interface pad but I am still awaiting the hand sander block. didn't think about drilling new holes.
I already have the 125mm long version which is about worn out so this is its replacement.
Yes much the same reason as you it softens the grit and yes 180 can be too harsh. I light sane inbetween coats but I have painted walls and ceiling with a final satin emulsion if I run my hand over the surface it still feels rough so I find the lightest out touches with 600 grit on a soft pad takes the surface to a totally smooth one without changing the soft sheen.
Also slightly rounded surfaces.
Best of luck.

As an aside 600g should be fine with satin emulsion.

I recall taking to a rep at Morrells years ago, we were talking about sanding back 2 pack spray that I was having a problem with. He recommended not going over 400 grit (between coats) because higher grits would end up "polishing" the surface and reduce adhesion.

I do like the Mirka had sanders but it annoys me that the larger one of the two that I own is not supplied with 35mm hose adaptor (the size required for my Festool dust extractors). The smaller, and cheaper one, came with the reducer, the larger one doesn't, and the adaptor is about a tenner with postage. That is a third of the cost of of the sander...

Sponsored Links
Still waiting for my block to arrive.
Yes agreed with the polishing risk with 600 and I use the 400 in-between coats. Paint or varnish.
I had forgotten that the little one came with an adapter - I have lost it somewhere.
I often wonder about the stress on the vac every time i pop the rubber tapered bung in the vac for the thin pipe.

Still waiting for my block to arrive.
Yes agreed with the polishing risk with 600 and I use the 400 in-between coats. Paint or varnish.
I had forgotten that the little one came with an adapter - I have lost it somewhere.
I often wonder about the stress on the vac every time i pop the rubber tapered bung in the vac for the thin pipe.

If by stress you mean the stress on the motor, you can always twist the air intake slider on the sander nozzle to let more air pass through the hose.

If by stress you mean the stress on the motor, you can always twist the air intake slider on the sander nozzle to let more air pass through the hose.
Yeh that's right with the twit over hole thing and also the motor. I use a titan wet and dry and it gets some abuse.
Still not got my hand block as I missed 2 delivery atemps, will come back and report on the holes for future reference,

I cannow confirm that the soft pad 56 hole, 20 of the holes in the pad line up with the 20 in the sander. Also it came with the adapter that you were missing from yours.

I cannow confirm that the soft pad 56 hole, 20 of the holes in the pad line up with the 20 in the sander. Also it came with the adapter that you were missing from yours.

thanks for the heads up. Is your pad a black and grey one? My smaller one is.

It was my larger yellow one that was not supplied with the adaptor.

That said, the colour of the pad is no indicator of whether it will be provided with the reducer. Glad to read that your one did.

Yes my new one is the grey/ black one, the bigger brother to yours so I now have the small grey/black as your link and the larger grey. That yellow one is an even bigger size - I initially was going for that and then realised that the grit for that only gos up to 240

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back