Mirka hand sander/wet sanding(lead paint)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, new here and in need of some help.

About to redecorate a family members new flat, and the age of it means it has lead(tested with testing kit) and they are concerned with all the dust about to be created.
Now we can’t replace the woodwork or strip it, so all I was planning on doing is using some festool sanding pads to key it and denib and use the Wagner 3500 and spray everything with whatever they wanted as a finish. Now the debate is, I have 2 Mirka hand sanders, the little grey one and the bigger yellow one, and I also have a wet and dry Henry. They want me to use the Mirkas wet and I’m not sure they can be used wet.
I know I can clean the meshes with water and have some of the JCB meshes and they clean with water, but never considered using these in a wet and dry mode before.

Seems overkill really?..opinions would be good.

Sponsored Links
Im no h and s expert but that is overkill, a light sanding with 120 grit paper should be fine. Wear an appropriate face mask, you can seal doors and windows until the dust settles. Keep family away and vacuum up dust etc with a hepa filter extractor. Then ventilate room.

You can get an adaptor for a decorators pole that takes sanding sheets which will speed things up.

Blup

I also have the small grey Mirka Handy Sander and the larger yellow one. I have never used water to clean Abranet. I just assumed that the water would cause the abrasive to fall off.

I really can't see wet sanding working though.

On the balance of probability, the last few coats will not have lead, so denibbing is not an issue.

A HEPA filter will help, but also reduce suction very slightly.

Some dust extractors allow you plug hose in to them to extract the filtered dust outside, eg my old Festool CT22s.

I am not being dismissive of the dangers of lead but people are often overly concerned.

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated.
Wet sanded with 120g sanding pads and job was sorted.
opps, the JCB mesh(what I use with the grey Mirka)is to me the same exact stuff as Abranet only a grey colour not the rust of the Abranet, both clean up in water. Extends the life somewhat.
Others I know bin them when clogged.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the responses, much appreciated.
Wet sanded with 120g sanding pads and job was sorted.
opps, the JCB mesh(what I use with the grey Mirka)is to me the same exact stuff as Abranet only a grey colour not the rust of the Abranet, both clean up in water. Extends the life somewhat.
Others I know bin them when clogged.

Ahh... so for yours to get clogged, are you sanding waterbased paints?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back